• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

teitan

Legend
Min Maxers? A way to end that debate in PC creation? 0 Level funnel with random generated characters being put through HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLL. Pete the Elf with a max stat of 12 wins the day with his Intelligence of 4.

Einlanzer0

Explorer
Something being official is, by itself, a terrible reason to just allow an option. WotC is just another 5e publisher, whose importance is inflated because they own the IP.

I disagree. Disallowing official options as a knee-jerk and comprehensive reaction just because you are the GM and have decided (usually through emotion more than through logic) that the balance (or whatever) is bad is terrible.

First off, 5e's design is fairly stable in the sense that power creep is minimal. It has bigger issues with base rules in the PHB than it does with power creep from splat books, for example, the fact that Dex is too important while Int isn't important enough, or the fact that allowing short & long rests too casually contributes heavily to a breakdown of balance regardless of what official content you are or aren't using. These things are easily house-rulable and do not require banning entire books of official content. That just reeks of irrationality and control issues.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I disagree. Disallowing official options as a knee-jerk and comprehensive reaction just because you are the GM and have decided (usually through emotion more than through logic) that the balance (or whatever) is bad is terrible.

First off, 5e's design is fairly stable in the sense that power creep is minimal. It has bigger issues with base rules in the PHB than it does with power creep from splat books, for example, the fact that Dex is too important while Int isn't important enough, or the fact that allowing short & long rests too casually contributes heavily to a breakdown of balance regardless of what official content you are or aren't using. These things are easily house-rulable and do not require banning entire books of official content. That just reeks of irrationality and control issues.
Oh, I agree. You need to evaluate both ways.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So...speaking of balance...

That last bit, where the losers of the die rolling contest get a Mulligan and can try again, I am strongly opposed to.

If everyone is using the same method it's fine, but when you mix methods in a group it's like giving a middle finger to those that used the array/buy because you all but guarantee better scores across the board.

Same goes for rolling HP. I always just take the 5 for a d8. Then the player next to me decides to gamble and rolls a 1, the GM lets them try again because a 1 is garbage, then they get a 7. That's bad feels.
I don’t understand this at all, tbh.

But also…why does it relate to letting someone do a second set of their first roles set is garbage? Why do you care what the other person has as long as it’s in the same range as you? Would you really want someone to try to play with a lower than point buy set while you are playing with a set that would require a 45 pt buy to get with point buy?

pogre

Legend
Basically how many people are you aware of using Tasha's as is out in the wild? Do DMs allow it, parts of it,not allow it or just not aware of it.

How about online for those of you who play online?
The key for me in deciding whether to use a new book or not is to ask my players if it is important to them. Some players get really excited by new PC options. Sure you can ban anything you want - I support that - it is your game. However, in my campaign I have a couple of players who really like to work at making different combinations and tricks for their PCs. They are not so much pure powergamers, but players who delight in making unusual, effective PCs.

For D&D, I allow people to redesign their PC whenever they want. I really have only one player who does this. I want folks to enjoy their characters.

So, with my situation I allow everything WOTC has published. I would be absolutely fine with just the PHB - but, I know a couple of my players would get less enjoyment.

IMO, Tasha's does have some power creep. My campaign has a 14th level Twilight Cleric and I design big encounters usually thinking, "this could be a TPK." Has not happened.

I don’t understand this at all, tbh.

But also…why does it relate to letting someone do a second set of their first roles set is garbage? Why do you care what the other person has as long as it’s in the same range as you? Would you really want someone to try to play with a lower than point buy set while you are playing with a set that would require a 45 pt buy to get with point buy?
The standard array person is hosed when rollers get to declare a mulligan. Turns out they only want to roll when it works in their favor.

When we roll for stats, its 4d6, drop lowest, in order. Everyone generates a set of stats (or two). Then anyone can use any of the stat sets OR standard point buy if none of the stat sets fit their vision. Our last game had an array with an 18 strength and 17 charisma that 3 characters used. It generates interesting characters with the benefit of no one being jealous of stats because you could have had the exact same stats!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
We roll everything, even hit points.* I don't like taking the randomness out of the game, even in small ways.

*That said: I let players reroll 1s (and 2s, if they're using a d10 or d12 hit dice) when they're rolling hit points.

doctorbadwolf

The standard array person is hosed when rollers get to declare a mulligan. Turns out they only want to roll when it works in their favor.

When we roll for stats, its 4d6, drop lowest, in order.
😬
Everyone generates a set of stats (or two). Then anyone can use any of the stat sets OR standard point buy if none of the stat sets fit their vision. Our last game had an array with an 18 strength and 17 charisma that 3 characters used. It generates interesting characters with the benefit of no one being jealous of stats because you could have had the exact same stats!
That seems way more complicated than just using a generous point buy or rolling method.

I guess we just only look at each other’s sheets to make sure the other person has enough, not to make sure they don’t have “more” than me. I don’t think I’m going to understand it, frankly. Feels similar to trying to understand monogamous people. It’s just a different mindset at a fundamental level.

doctorbadwolf

We roll everything, even hit points.* I don't like taking the randomness out of the game, even in small ways.

*That said: I let players reroll 1s (and 2s, if they're using a d10 or d12 hit dice) when they're rolling hit points.
I’ve been considering switching HP and stat rolling to a hybrid method. For stats, it would be 6+2d6, and for HP it would be 2+one die step lower than listed. Same ceiling, higher floor.

Last edited:

Remove ads