• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Forced Movement Inherently Breakable?

helium3

First Post
When I returned to Enworld yesterday, an interesting thing I noticed were all the cool "broken" combos that people were posting. And this is only with a couple of days of access to the rules. Imagine what we can accomplish with an entire year and several splatbooks under our belt!!

In many cases, the combo relied in some way on forced movement. Most of these threads also contained a post or two that essentially said, "Forced movement cannot be used to accomplish <name of bad effect goes here>."

Now, I know that you can't use forced movement to pitch someone off a cliff without them getting a chance to "fall down" by making a saving throw. This is not the same thing though as saying, "They cannot be made to fall without their consent." The section on Forced Movement also specifically states "forced movement cannot provoke opportunity actions." Opportunity actions are very narrowly defined as actions that you make take in response to a specific trigger, one of which is an Opportunity Attack.

In no place does the section on Forced Movement contain a list of negative effects and conditions that cannot be applied by the use of Force Movement. So, all of these "you can't use Forced Movement to do that" posts are either flat out wrong or relying on a bit of rules verbiage I have yet to read.

But really, that's not even my question, just my observation. What I really want to know is, "In the same way that point buy based RPG's are inherently twinkable, is Forced Movement inherently breakable?" If so, why is this?

Vaeron

Explorer
There are certain situations that are a bit weird... like the low level rogue power that allows them to swap places with an enemy they make a melee hit against. Doesn't make sense when they're hitting an enemy through bars, or fighting a gelatinous cube, or any other enemy that is behind an obstruction or IS the obstruction. But the power simply states that the effect occurs, without exception.

I have no doubt there are unanticipated forced movement applications, for example: A wizard with an Int of 30 (+10 Int modifier) and the Divine Seeker epic destiny. Allows him to pick up any classes level 22 utility power. Taking the warlord "Own the Battlefield" Utility 22 : Close burst 10, SLIDE each *enemy* you can see [int modifier] squares. All enemies in a burst 10 (what is that, something like 400 squares?), slid anywhere you want within 10 squares, NO HIT REQUIRED.

But is that an abuse, broken, or just clever battlefield control?

Last edited:

Dausuul said:
How are you getting an Int of 30? :)
It's the generic "highest possible stat" in 4e, 18 + 2 racial + 8 from levels + 2 from Demigod. Honestly, it's very specific and most actual characters wont get it, especially for secondary stats, but it's a nice round "if I really wanted to milk this" number.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Forced movement isn't inherently breakable. WotC's horrible, amateurish attempt at rules for 4E is. Observe... 2 kobold dragonshields fighting each other and one uses their tactics ability... Can you say infinite 5 foot shifts per turn?

"Hey Bob, I want to go to the other side of the planet, lets spar."
"Okay Frank, oh I got initiative, I'll shift away from you."
"And I shift to follow..."

Utterly ridiculous.

Gunpowder

First Post
Regicide said:
Forced movement isn't inherently breakable. WotC's horrible, amateurish attempt at rules for 4E is. Observe... 2 kobold dragonshields fighting each other and one uses their tactics ability... Can you say infinite 5 foot shifts per turn?

"Hey Bob, I want to go to the other side of the planet, lets spar."
"Okay Frank, oh I got initiative, I'll shift away from you."
"And I shift to follow..."

Utterly ridiculous.

*TWeeeet*

Flag on the play. Poster has attempted to initiate an infinity loop. Illegal Ruling. All creatures are limited to one immediate action per round.
Poster is fine one internet cookie.
Resume thread

Remove ads