• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Initiative rules in 5e. Also related to reactions and delaying.

Creamsteak

Explorer
So with the current rules I feel like they have done a good job for a lot of circumstances. Even the changes from a "surprised round" to a "surprised condition" work very well with my group. There has been some recent debate about what a readied action can do. I think we all agree that at best it's a single attack or spell under some specific circumstances which nerfs it, but I do feel like the delayed action was not that incredibly costly and was redeemable.

Specifically a common situation that can arise is the shield fighter bonus action to knock a target prone. If they act before the target and nobody else, this is fairly limited. If they do this right after the target's action, it means that target suffers attack advantage from it's opposition for all of the attacks.

I personally have no problem with the latter, and I don't like initiative order having a sort of "global" effect on how valuable it is. This is not a huge matter, but I personally would largely not have a problem with allowing the old delayed action where you wait until another character has completed its full turn to take your action, then you take your full action and your turn moves. I also understand why it was moved, but I'd probably rather have the delayed action than the readied action as it stands now.

Remove ads