Indie Publishers, what are you working on for 2023?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Seems like we spent a lot of time talking about certain small publishers who don't actually create anything. I'd like to talk about those of us who do. I'm very curious to see what other folks are working on, planning on having them released this year. And I'm curious to share how we each tackle our projects as small companies (I'm a one-person show for example). We might have some best practices to share.

For me, last year was pretty busy, especially since I am just one person. I put out my biggest project in Twilight Fables, but also put out Bugbears&Borderlands and released advanced copies of Tomb of Entropy. I'm pretty proud of being able to do all of those in a year.

For 2023, I've already released the official Tomb of Entropy adventure, and I'm 99% done writing "Mirrored Mountain", which takes the classic Endless Quest book, Mountain of Mirrors, and converts it to an adventure. Due to the OGL scandal, I'm also finally releasing my own system. It's so nice to write for a system that you're invested in and love rather than someone else's system (like 5e).

So what about you? Gonna take advantage of the D&D movie success and put out some OGL stuff?

tomboEcoverweb.jpg

gaes cover copy.jpg

Momsmallcover copy.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’m planning on becoming a first time publisher this year, with a supplement for 5e dedicated to shadow folk and shadow realms, and then a larger project that jumps off from the SRD into a 5e variant similar in scope to adventures in middle earth, with new classes, modified versions of existing classes, new and new versions of races, and a full setting.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I’m planning on becoming a first time publisher this year, with a supplement for 5e dedicated to shadow folk and shadow realms, and then a larger project that jumps off from the SRD into a 5e variant similar in scope to adventures in middle earth, with new classes, modified versions of existing classes, new and new versions of races, and a full setting.
congrats! I wish you the best success!

I put out Sons of Lady 87, a wuxia sandbox for our Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG. The PDF is up on Drivethru, the print is available through a link on our website (and should be getting into broader circulation in April).

1679427618612.png

I am also working on Strange Tales of New England, a modern horror RPG that uses the same core system as our Strange Tales of Songling RPG. I tend to work slowly over a long period, so not sure how long this project is going to take.

I have a couple of other projects in the works as well (which I can describe as they get closer to take off).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
congrats! I wish you the best success!
Thanks! I’m terrified! 😂

The big project is basically a D&D port of my own game, Quest for Chevar. QfC is set primarily in Earth, but features other worlds, and central to the conflicts of the setting is the mysterious world of Chevar.

The product I’m working on, Chevar: Champions of The Ninth Realm, is set in that fantastic world itself, and it’s got a vibe of the Thundercats generation of science fantasy cartoons meets final fantasy and aetherpunk or crystalpunk fiction.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I put out Sons of Lady 87, a wuxia sandbox for our Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG. The PDF is up on Drivethru, the print is available through a link on our website (and should be getting into broader circulation in April).

View attachment 279274

I am also working on Strange Tales of New England, a modern horror RPG that uses the same core system as our Strange Tales of Songling RPG. I tend to work slowly over a long period, so not sure how long this project is going to take.

I have a couple of other projects in the works as well (which I can describe as they get closer to take off).
I absolutely love that cover. I’d ask for the name of the artist, but I don’t want to steal them lol

Sacrosanct

Legend
Thanks! I’m terrified! 😂

The big project is basically a D&D port of my own game, Quest for Chevar. QfC is set primarily in Earth, but features other worlds, and central to the conflicts of the setting is the mysterious world of Chevar.

The product I’m working on, Chevar: Champions of The Ninth Realm, is set in that fantastic world itself, and it’s got a vibe of the Thundercats generation of science fantasy cartoons meets final fantasy and aetherpunk or crystalpunk fiction.
Some advice for those stepping into the creator waters:
Do it because you love it, regardless of anything else
Ignore anyone who criticizes it because there will always be people like that so don’t let it affect you personally.
Don’t get down if it doesn’t take off right away. Not all of us have the following of Mercer or others.
No matter how good you are, always have outside people look it over. The #1 law is the minute you publish it, you’ll see all your errors 😂
Unless it’s a vanity project for you, be humble and willing to leave a favored part on the cutting room floor if your potential customers won’t like it.

Most importantly, you can totally do it. Before we can be good at anything, we have to be ok with being bad at it for a bit. Just keep going.

Balvennie

Villager
Some advice for those stepping into the creator waters:
Do it because you love it, regardless of anything else
Ignore anyone who criticizes it because there will always be people like that so don’t let it affect you personally.
Don’t get down if it doesn’t take off right away. Not all of us have the following of Mercer or others.
No matter how good you are, always have outside people look it over. The #1 law is the minute you publish it, you’ll see all your errors 😂
Unless it’s a vanity project for you, be humble and willing to leave a favored part on the cutting room floor if your potential customers won’t like it.

Most importantly, you can totally do it. Before we can be good at anything, we have to be ok with being bad at it for a bit. Just keep going.
Man, am I glad I stumbled on this post.

I'm about 32,000 words into an expansion for Spelljammer. I should have the writing wrapped up in the next two weeks. Other than taking the material and putting it into production form, I have very little idea on the best way to get there except for following the standard product development cycle. I have a deep background in digital marketing and web design, but I have no idea what the art design process should look like or cost, or whom to approach about it. I have high confidence in being able to put together the final project, but getting the right look and feel is a big concern.

I'd also love for someone to just take a look and see if anyone would be interested in using any of the ideas in it, or if anyone could give me some pointers on where to go next.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I am currently in the trenches writing my first major ttrpg, and I am hoping to publish by the end of the year. However, the OGL debacle has set me back in costs and time invested on creating a 5e project that is now being migrated over to our own in house system.

Our game "Splicer Gears" features a heavily customized d20/SGE system, featuring modular options for standard games, solo games, hardcore mode, a classless "normal human" mode for playing a "The Boys" style campaign, and an outstanding amount of customization for characters to choose from.

Splicer Gears is a biopunk survival horror ttrpg with a unique world and a unique approach to game design. I am waiting until I am closer to release to reveal the playtest, the world, city map, and the pitch

Hazard Border B&W Cover Art 8.5x11 v3 Sample copy 4.jpg

I am a freelance artist (with 23 years experience as a street artist, typographer, & a graphic designer), doing the layout, design, and about half of the art myself including the cover. I have been fortunate enough to work with several other talented artists on the project whom I have a great deal of respect for, including the eminent Rashed Alakroka.

You can keep up to date on new developments for the project on my blog, or you can get early access to playtesting, characters sheets, discount codes for our websites, and concept art available exclusively on my patreon page.

Last edited:

Remove ads