• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IE 9 problems on ENWorld

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I use Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9 and for the last 2 weeks or so I have a lot of trouble connecting to ENWorld. It is not a problem with any other site. I usually have a half a dozen tabs open.

So to night I re-installed Firefox and tried ENWorld with it. I have been on for 30 minutes or so and 7 or 8 page accesses, so far no need to relaod. I have not been able to open general or the 4e forum page on IE 9 in this time.

Just wondering, it is just me, or is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As the doctor in the old joke says, "well, then stop doing that."

Unless you're using IE for work reasons, stop it. It's better than IE6, but still, there are better alternatives out there, as you've demonstrated.

(Yes, obviously, the board should be made compatible, but IE use is a self-inflicted injury.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I use IE9, and haven't had those issues, so it's not an IE9-related issue. Might require someone clever than me to give advice, though.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I use Firefox 7.0.1 at home where I have a choice, but I recently worked with a client that used IE9 on Windows 7 machines and they were having similar problems (not with EN World but many other Web sites). The problem was occurring because of some incompatibility with IE9 and their (older) video card drivers. Updating those drivers from the manufacturers Web site fixed the problem last I knew. Here's the Microsoft Support article for it: You experience slow performance in Internet Explorer 9

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but perhaps it's a place to start.

Edit: I wasn't working with this client in any sort of IT or technology capacity - I was just around when it was happening.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I use Firefox 7.0.1 at home where I have a choice, but I recently worked with a client that used IE9 on Windows 7 machines and they were having similar problems (not with EN World but many other Web sites). The problem was occurring because of some incompatibility with IE9 and their (older) video card drivers. Updating those drivers from the manufacturers Web site fixed the problem last I knew. Here's the Microsoft Support article for it: You experience slow performance in Internet Explorer 9

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but perhaps it's a place to start.

Edit: I wasn't working with this client in any sort of IT or technology capacity - I was just around when it was happening.

I am not having this problem with any other website other than ENWorld and only in the last 10 days to 2 weeks or so.

I have not made any changes to my setup in this time so I though it might be an ENWorld issue if something had changed in the ENWorld setup in that time frame.

I don't think that it is the issue you linked to jaerdaph, I checked my settings and drivers and all seems to be in order and the browser is using GPU acceleration. Thanks for the link anyway. If I was getting it on other sites it would be easier to torubleshoot.

[MENTION=11760]Whizbang Dustyboots[/MENTION], I switched to IE when a Firefox updated to version that was so slow to be unusable. I have found IE9 to be a perfectably servicable browser so far. in fact right now I prefer it to the current Firefox UI.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I switched to IE when a Firefox updated to version that was so slow to be unusable. I have found IE9 to be a perfectably servicable browser so far. in fact right now I prefer it to the current Firefox UI.
The Mozilla folks course-corrected on browser speed: Firefox 7 is faster than Chrome in many benchmark tests.

And I wouldn't call any browser that necessitates a "hey, my browser doesn't work with this site" thread serviceable, but YMMV.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
The Mozilla folks course-corrected on browser speed: Firefox 7 is faster than Chrome in many benchmark tests.

I'm really diggin' this new Firefox 7 - Firefox 6 was sort of a performance roller coaster for me the last couple of months of its lifetime (after several versions and updates of reliable service), but the new version 7 seems to have be much more stable and performance is noticeably improved.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well I have figured out hte source of the problem i have been having.
It seems that the Cross Site Scripting filter is throwing a fit with the ads on the site.

Since I am a subscriber I have now disabled ad display as so I have had no problems since then.

I will attempt to find out if I can exclude a specific site from the attnetions of the cosssite scripting filter.If I find out anything I will posted here for anyone else to use.

[MENTION=11760]Whizbang Dustyboots[/MENTION], it is funny that just after your comments a thread on firefox troubles on ENWorld pops up, though having played with hte new firefox I think I prefer IE9 it has some features that I prefer out of the box.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
For future reference, apparently if one adds ENworld to the trusted sites and disables the cross site script filter for trusted sites that should prevent this problem also.

Remove ads