• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need advice for a new Sentinel Druid.

Herschel

Adventurer
My big problem right now is that the wizard of the group is complaining and saying that when things are knocked prone it won't benefit him or the rogue we've got in the group.

Wait, what?!?!?! The Wizard should have a number of blasts/bursts so being prone isn't too bad for him, but the rogue not benefitting?!?!?!?!?! Prone grants combat advantage, that's hellaciously useful to a rogue!

Nullzone

Explorer
Rogue and Thief both can get a lot more mileage out of melee than ranged thanks to their utility powers and such, so while he may be proficient with both a dagger/sword and a hand crossbow I certainly wouldn't go around using the crossbow if I can help it.

Minifig

First Post
Rogue and Thief both can get a lot more mileage out of melee than ranged thanks to their utility powers and such, so while he may be proficient with both a dagger/sword and a hand crossbow I certainly wouldn't go around using the crossbow if I can help it.

He uses his crossbow a lot, but also has occasionally used his sword and dagger..

I think this will be a good change for him though as he'll do more damage with the sword and dagger. Especially with Sly Flourish.

mneme

Explorer
He could be -- though very few rogues are purely ranged.

I'd take Summon Giant Toad -- it's awesome. Remember, it has that instinctive action, so on turns you don't give it orders, it will attack an enemy or chase one; and if you (or an ally) can shove an enemy into range of it, it will attack it on its own. Good damage, good control effect.

The wizard's best way to benefit from Shilelah is to do his job. Daze a prone enemy and it's going nowhere fast; that's one set of stacked conditions that everyone is happy with.

Also, your companion takes a move action whenever you do. So if you move a summon or yourself, it gets a move too.

mneme

Explorer
Note that if you wanted to be more controllery and a little less leadery, you could take Grasping Tide instead. But that would make Shilelah a much less good idea, as you'd be spending much less time making melee attacks (and might make the wizard even sadder, as it's better at-will control than anything he can do).

Minifig

First Post
The wizard is driving me nuts, telling me that if I knock something prone, he'll attack something else. Even if I tell him to daze the prone target.. he claims that the minus two to attack roles will hurt us because we're rolling against things that requires to hit 18-20 in attack rolls. He seems to think that 20-22 is high for a wizard. :|

I'm just to the point where I'm going to tell him to stuff it because everything around me will be prone.

Nullzone

Explorer
Also, your companion takes a move action whenever you do. So if you move a summon or yourself, it gets a move too.

Edit: whoa, when did they change this? I distinctly remember the original material saying the companion uses your actions.

The wizard is driving me nuts, telling me that if I knock something prone, he'll attack something else. Even if I tell him to daze the prone target.. he claims that the minus two to attack roles will hurt us because we're rolling against things that requires to hit 18-20 in attack rolls. He seems to think that 20-22 is high for a wizard. :|

I'm just to the point where I'm going to tell him to stuff it because everything around me will be prone.

A little clarification here is warranted. First, if you're referring to dice rolls, then yeah, requiring an 18-20 is pretty high. But I'm going to guess you're talking about the total, in which case any properly built character shouldn't have a very difficult time.

Second, the Wizard is flat out crazy. If he's using burst or blast attacks, the prone effect means nothing (and I'm pretty sure all the really nice controller-y things a Wizard can do fall into these categories). It only matters if he's using something like Arc Lightning, in which case, yeah he may want to shoot for something else. But he should be taking advantage of the prone to really make the baddies hurt from it, not simply ignoring them because they're prone. Dazed, slowed, forced movement...all of these can make prone suck even more than it already does, because it makes the monster potentially ineffectual for a turn.

At the very least, do remind him that he only takes penalties on Ranged attacks, not Close or Area attacks. If he's really worried about it, suggest he take the Grounding Shot feat.

Last edited:

Remove ads