• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E I just got my hands on the 1ed AD&D books

lasergreger

First Post
So, with Gygax passing, and with the, from my part, eagerly anticipated release of 4th edition, my D&D hype is steadly balanced on it's peak. Spending some time on the web, looking through the game's history and such made me finaly take the descision to check with my local dealer (in games) about these earlier books. I knew he had a DMG from 1979 in an "used" box in the back.

So today I went over, set to buy this gem, I didn't care about it's condition much, since it was the contents and, well, "feeling" I wanted from it, not a collectable. Upon asking him about the book, he produced it, and suddenly said "Hey, I think I have like the Monster Manual and some modules too." I hurridly asked him to produce them, and for some reason I kept looking around for people who looked likely to steal them from before my eyes, even though he's had these for over a year!

And 'lo and behold! I am now the owner of the PHB, DMG and MM from 1979, sure their condition is very poor, but all pages are there and it's still the books I'v already come to treasure. Now, could this become even better? Even sweeter? Yes, because he also had "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" in a Fine condition! Written by Mr. Gygax himself, and widely credited as a great adventure on the web, I'm very happy to own it.

Now then, I'v already dedicated my 4th ED campaign to Gary Gygax, seemed the very least I could do. But now also, my Players will unwittingly, go through this module inside my campaign! I think, it will be a real treat.

/lasergreger, a really, really nostalgious and happy geek.

Zander

Explorer
I'm happy for you, lasergreger. I too had a look through my old 1E books and reminisced.

I have to say though that this thread belongs more in the General forum than here in 4E. ;)

lasergreger

First Post
Oh darnit, I choose the "General" category and thought that would do it. Silly me. Well if a Mod. can go ahead and move it, that would be cool.
I do mention my 4th ED campaign and plans to convert EtBP to it, but it's up to the mods.

/lasergreger, who apparantly is a noob.

Belorin

Explorer
Ah! Exredition to the Barrier Peaks, possible the most fun I've had playing D&D. It was so hard to not use player knowledge as character knowledge in that one. Good times, good times.

Bel

Remove ads