• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I go away, and I miss a whole edition - Help?!

Mordane76

First Post
I've had a lot happen in the almost two years I've been gone, and somehow, I missed an entire edition of material. The last game I ran was D&D3.5E, 4E was just releasing (my ex-wife bought me the DMG for my birthday about three months before we separated), and now I find myself itching to run something again and D&D Next is on the horizon.

I still have most of my old 3.5E books and a bunch of other d20 books... but I've heard good things about 4E from sources I find reputable... but should I invest in "new" books that will be replaced in about a year? I've been reading through the 4E DMG I have, and it seems interesting, but I can't piece together certain mechanics from that book (I get the feeling they're in the PHB).

So... the main question is in there...
Is it worth my dollars to invest in 4E, or should I stick to my 3.5E and d20 material until 5E is released?

renau1g

First Post
Well, do you have a group for 4e that you could play with? If so, then the books will have value as long as you play the game for regardless of what edition the game is on (like all the people still playing older editions).

Personally, I like 4e. I like that it's a dramatic change from the older editions, I like tactical combat with lots of complexity and I've always used minis in combat so the requirement (essentially) to use a battle map and minis was no issue for me.

You can probably get some used books pretty cheap on Amazon or eBay or try a short subscription to the DDI service to make some PC's with all the character options and play a bit that way to see if you like it. If you do, you could buy more material, if you don't, the cost is pretty minimal.

fba827

Adventurer
unfortunately none of us here know you and your preferences well enough to say what will work for you. BUT, here are some questions that might help you make that decision...

Ask your self questions like
1) Does the info you see about D&D Next actually interest you or do you find it a good way that things seem to be going? If so, you may be better off waiting for D&D Next (note that there is still no actual release date for it and so we could be talking a year or more away; but if you have 3.5 stuff then there should be no shortage of what you can piece together to hold you over). But if the direction of D&D Next does not interest you then you can take it out of your equation and decide solely between 3.5 and 4e

2) Do you actually have a group (or potential group) with which you can run 3.5 game? Or even a 4e game?

3) If you do go for 4e books, and want to get a few books to "check it out" I'd recommend getting the books labeled as "essentials" (specifically the rules compendium, and 'heroes of the forgotten lands' for more of your stereotypical classes and races; and if you like it then branch out to stuff like 'heroes of the forgotten kingdoms' and so on depending on what types of things you want to further develop/include in your game). *IF* you want a single book to get a better feel of 4e, go for "Heroes of the Forgotten Lands", with "Rules Compendium" being a good second choice

Yora

Legend
Since all you really need is a PHB and stores are eager to get rid of their old stocks, I'd say go for it and see if you like it.
If you think it's the best thing since sliced bread, you have a new amazing game that you can play. If you think it's just average, you lost about 15€.

ahayford

First Post
As all the others have said.....but I'll add another option.

If you enjoyed 3.0/3.5...I'd take a look at Pathfinder. Paizo has released their own game that extends and fiddles with the 3.0 ruleset and has a very large following. Tons of game material there as well.

Li Shenron

Legend
I've had a lot happen in the almost two years I've been gone, and somehow, I missed an entire edition of material. The last game I ran was D&D3.5E, 4E was just releasing (my ex-wife bought me the DMG for my birthday about three months before we separated), and now I find myself itching to run something again and D&D Next is on the horizon.

I still have most of my old 3.5E books and a bunch of other d20 books... but I've heard good things about 4E from sources I find reputable... but should I invest in "new" books that will be replaced in about a year? I've been reading through the 4E DMG I have, and it seems interesting, but I can't piece together certain mechanics from that book (I get the feeling they're in the PHB).

Is it worth my dollars to invest in 4E, or should I stick to my 3.5E and d20 material until 5E is released?

How much do you have in mind when you say "invest"? You already have the DMG so if you're interested in just the PHB and MM, I think you can afford the cost even if you ain't going to play it later (although you should be aware that 4e was conceived with the "everything is core principle" which means that not every traditional class is in the first PHB so you might need more).

If you're the DM, then you probably have the chance to play the edition you want even if it's not the latest, so go ahead and collect all the 4e books you want. In the worst case this might mean you need to get in some casual players if the mass of hardcore gamers follows the latest editions (but for my own tastes, this is actually the best case).

If you're a player, in which case you anyway most likely need less books than the DM, you have different options: if you already know people who can take you into their game, buy those couple of books you really need ASAP so that you have at least a good year to play.

But if you don't have a potential group, then you'd better wait until you have a good chance. Should you find the chance later, you are more likely to find 4e books discounted as 5e gets closer, and should you not, well just try again with 5e :cool:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I definitely wouldn't buy books that are about to be "obsolete" at full price.

After 4e was released, there was a bit of a 3e renaissance because all the books were available cheap. As for 4e, WotC has essentially admitted that they have more core rulebooks than they expect to sell. I would expect those can be found for cheap either now or in the near future.

That being said, the current standard-bearer is Pathfinder. Since the rules are available free online, I would take a hard look at it.

Most importantly, as you say you have 3.5 books aplenty. I would suggest you first consider using the books you already have, rather than spending money on anything, especially if you're planning on looking at 5e when it releases. Don't fix anything unless it's broken. What you ultimately do, of course, is a function of your preferences, your players, and your bank account.

I'd say no.

Look for a group and join as a player. If they play 3.5e you don't need to buy anything. If they play 4e just borrow the books.

Wait a year for 5e to launch and get in on the ground floor.

Your choices are many.

To decide, you need to think about:
1) when you want to play
2) what you want from support materials
3) what you have to spend
4) whether you have a group or not
5) what kind of rules you'd like
6) what kind of setting you want

Pathfinder:
1) in print now
2) lots of support materials from Paizo and Kobold Quarterly/Open Design, lots of new stuff on that way, mostly compatible with 3e materials
3) online rules download is free/rules are normal price
4) many FLGS sponsor organized play
5) rules are improved 3.5e (d20), with traditional D&D feel
6) setting of its own, adding steampunk stuff

3.5e:
1) out of print
2) tons and tons of support material from myriad publishers, but not new stuff, unless you use Pathfinder materials
3) free to you since you already own it
4) not company supported, so no FLGS events
5) rules are 3.5e (d20), with traditional D&D feel
6) settings supported are many, with Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms as the primary ones

4e:
1) in print for now; if you want it, I'd buy now -- 3.5e stuff went up in price after they stopped printing it
2) lots of support, mostly from WOTC and one other publisher (way less third party stuff than 3e)
3) probably the most costly
4) FLGS open play exists
5) rules not much like traditional D&D, IMHO. You can see thousands and thousands of pages of arguments about this. It's a love it or hate it thing.
6) setting is mostly its own setting

5e: Not in print yet, hard to say what it will be like.

Earlier editions than 3.5: You do the math, but they are fairly popular.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads