• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I acquired some 11"x17" graph paper, and my dungeons are starting to sprawl.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
It's funny how long you can go before you notice little influences on dungeon design, like how the size of ordinary 8.5"x11" graph paper can constrain the size of a typical dungeon level. This was certainly the mode of thought I was in when I started working on the large dungeon at the center of my current campaign. But then, at an art store the other day, I happened to spot some double-sized graph paper and bought it on a whim. And now I'm finding that my dungeon's lower levels are (surprise, surprise!) starting to spread out further as I draw them.

This (along with a few other quirks I've started to notice) got me thinking: how do most folks out there draw their dungeons? Do they do some of the same things I do? Do you draw the rooms, and then shade in the white space between them in pencil to make them stand out better? (On a blog the other day, I saw someone recommend that after drawing dungeon maps, one should photocopy them, both to make the lines darker and more visible, and so you can edit as you go without marring the original -- quite brilliant!) Are you inclined to draw dungeon rooms in some detail, filling in things like furniture to scale; or do you just number the room and describe it in the key? Does everyone still use the traditional symbols (circled star for a statue, row of shrinking lines for stairs, etc.) for most terrain features?

Talk to me, o Dungeon Masters of EN World. How do you draw your dungeons?

Last edited:

Pretty much like that.

Though for the past two decades I've used engineering paper (the green kind, with the graph lines on the back). The lines kind of fade away and you suffer less from "right angle tyranny".

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well consider that I'm a pro RPG cartographer, I use software combined with hand-drawn work, creating whatever I need, at whatever scale I need. I place the grid last only to help define scale for miniatures play.

I am spoiled in running my own graphic design/digital print studio with access to large format printers, both a 36" wide roll-fed b/w laser printer and a 42" color inkjet printer. I print out mostly b/w for use in game, as the cost is lower to produce. My maps usually cover the entire table we're playing on, sometimes up to 36" x 60" in size.

My dungeon sprawls are limited to my imagination, not the limitations of the drawing surface - which is never a limitation. If it's too big for a single large format print, I'll make 2 or more prints - replacing on the table, as the adventure party reaches those additional areas.

Here's a link to my map thread here on Enworld - GamerPrinter's Map Emporeum to see the kind of maps I create.

frankthedm

First Post
MS paint. Nice and simple and it makes altering maps easy.

Attachments

• paintscreen.gif
    paintscreen.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 452

Advilaar

Explorer
I find simpler is better. I do draw world maps, but seldom dungeon maps unless there is some storyline and I 100 percent sure the PCs will have to go there.

Instead, I use a flowchart in a notebook or draw freeform on a battlemat with washable ink as I go along. This is particularly important if you run a very sandboxy game as opposed to a linear game. There is no way I could have 40+ maps at all times for every possibility.

Corathon

First Post
I use graph paper, shading the areas completely surrounded by rooms. I use some of the traditional symbols, but not all. I sometimes draw moveable room contents (like furniture) but usually not.

Hehe had a car today so I did a quick stop by Staples to get myself a big pad of 11"X17" graph paper as well. Thanks for the idea!

I love the "old school feel" of doing everything on paper, even though I know I'll never have enough room on the gaming table to spread all the things I need while DMing, especially if one of those things is a 11"X17" map of a MAZE OF DEATH.

AR

Remove ads