• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Hypothesis: Playtest 7 delayed to add elements inspired by BG3

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Other way around: WotC cares more about more people playing the game than they do selling books, because more people playing means more t-shirt and plushy sakes in the long run. And that's the real money.
Is it? What is the revenue of merchandise compared to the books?

In reality, it seems like what WotC really cares about is the number of people subscribed to D&D Beyond.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is it? What is the revenue of merchandise compared to the books?

In reality, it seems like what WotC really cares about is the number of people subscribed to D&D Beyond.
The reported franchise revenue (which include merchandise) for D&D was several times the size of the tabletop gaming industry. Beyond is pretty big, but their explicit stated strategy for a decade has been to just get people playing, to make D&D a lifestyle brand. Hence all the free rules and "open gaming" stuff.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I sure wish so. Its probably not the case, but it doesnt hurt to dream.

My players, during our yesterday game, told me a thing that floored me. They told me: ''you know, playing BG3 I finally understood how X-Y-Z works In the books I never understood, but seeing it made it way less intimidating''.

So yeah, I kinda wish they implemented rules like 2x 10 minutes short rests/day and all other quality of life thingies.

The reported franchise revenue (which include merchandise) for D&D was several times the size of the tabletop gaming industry. Beyond is pretty big, but their explicit stated strategy for a decade has been to just get people playing, to make D&D a lifestyle brand. Hence all the free rules and "open gaming" stuff.
Ku57woM.gif

D&D: The Flamethrower?

WotC has said they are interested into the digital market. I don't blame them.

Yes, maybe the videogame helps gamers to understand better the rules. BG3 could help to sell more books.

We know nothing about future videogame projects, but I would bet they don't want a new "Dark Alliance" because this hasn't worked so good.

Other videogame studios could be interested into a D&D licence not only to make money, but also to earn prestige what helped to promote themself after in their own projects. Even Hasbro could acquire more studios in the future.

I warn the changes of gameplay in videogames could alter the lore of the settings.

That's probably true, given that they hired Dan Rawson to run D&D, and his primary area of expertise and experience is converting people to digital subscriptions.

I very much doubt they're modifying 5E to resemble BG3, but only because the management layer seems to largely disconnected from specific decisions re: mechanics. They seem to be strongly connected re: tone and general approach, and it's possible they're reconsidering those, because they're absolutely at odds with BG3 (which is essentially R-rated, where WotC has been pushing D&D pretty hard towards PG, not even PG-13), but I don't really see how that would be reflected in the mechanics of a playtest.

Now, if WotC's management were a bit more on the ball, and a bit more forward-thinking, they would be looking at BG3 and thinking "Do people find this approach to mechanics, which is more permissive (and frankly has a better martial/caster balance than 5E - very much including 2024 - does), to be more attractive and fun?". And I suspect the answer for the vast majority of people who play D&D would be "Absolutely, yes, it is preferred". However, I suspect the answer for the 20K to 40K mostly-grogs who answer the survey is "No", because they're generally opposed to change, and particularly to martial classes being improved meaningfully (one of the reasons the weapon actions got a positive result was that most of them seem fairly weak, and it's clear from discussions here and elsewhere that a lot of posters just didn't grok how OP a couple of them are).

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It's ... uh ... already outsold the entirety of 5e. Like, the entire product line combined.
Had more concurrent players on Steam playing it than the top 10 adventure books sold by WotC.
5e is pretty small compared to the success of BG3.
https://www.enworld.org/threads/5e-lifetime-sales-in-north-american-big-box-stores-revealed.698946/
Your statement about outselling the entirety of 5e is based on an unsourced claim of the number of concurrent players on Steam versus data that represents less than 50% of book sales.

Remove ads