• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to bring back Dungeon Magazine and Dragon Magazine - Crate Edition

bmfrosty

Explorer
With Hasbro getting into the 'Crate' business I've been thinking about this.

What types of thinks would need to be in a $50 crate each month to make it worth it?

DM Crate (quarterly): (Value)
New issue of Dungeon Magazine: ($10)
Booster Box of figures (monsters): ($16)
Sheets of Monster Tokens: ($10)
Pack of Dice (chessex or similar): ($7)
DM's Guild Credit: ($5)
T-shirt (This part is more difficult than one would think): ($15)
Random (foam, organizer, battle mat, Whatever): ($15)

The Players crate (8 times yearly):
New issue of Dragon Magazine: ($10)
Booster Box of figures (heroes): ($16)
Pack of Dice (chessex or similar): ($7)
DM's Guild Credit: ($5)
T-shirt (This part is more difficult than one would think): ($15)
Random (foam, organizer, battle mat, Whatever): ($15)

I think of it like it would be windowed releases.

Crates get the issues first.
Subscribers get the issues 2-3 weeks later.
DM's Guild gets the issues 1-2 weeks after that.

Would you subscribe to such a thing?

CydKnight

Explorer
Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

I can read Dragon magazine free here http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/articles/106375

I prefer buying pre-painted bricks for my figures.

I don't use Monster Tokens

I probably already have all the dice I will ever need and see no reason for getting a pack every month.

DM's Guild credit is nice.

T-Shirt might be cool depending on theme.

Random whatever is not my cup-of-tea. I like knowing what I am buying.

Last edited:

Valdier

Explorer
All someone has to do is start a Dungeon Monthly magazine and split the profits among the contributors.

If I had the free time to manage it I would consider it as a side hobby.

20% for the magazine organization, and the other 80% split between up to 4 contributors per month the value of which is decided by quality and length of the dungeon contribution.

I’m not a big fan of the subscription crates. The last thing I need is more random stuff that I may or may not like/use. But I’d sign up for a printed Dragon magazine crate in a heartbeat.

DM Howard

Explorer
I’m not a big fan of the subscription crates. The last thing I need is more random stuff that I may or may not like/use. But I’d sign up for a printed Dragon magazine crate in a heartbeat.

Agreed. I'd prefer to not have more stuff, most of which is junk, cluttering up my house. Maybe if they paid me for it! :)

All that being said, I'd subscribe in an instant to a true Dungeon/Dragon magazine that is solely about 5th Edition D&D (with a little brand cross-pollination) in digital or otherwise.

Valdier

Explorer
Agreed. I'd prefer to not have more stuff, most of which is junk, cluttering up my house. Maybe if they paid me for it! :)

All that being said, I'd subscribe in an instant to a true Dungeon/Dragon magazine that is solely about 5th Edition D&D (with a little brand cross-pollination) in digital or otherwise.

I would definitely subscribe to Dungeon. Unearthed Arcana is exactly what they should be doing for traditional Dragon magazine content (With published rules later). DM's guild has definitely *not* filled the niche for pre-written adventures. I mean, it's fine if you need 1000 level 1-4 adventures and nothing of higher level.

ccs

41st lv DM
No.
If I were interested in the Dragon/Dungeon issues I'd just subscribe to them. It'd be a lot cheaper & I'd avoid getting a bunch of stuff I don't want/don't need/won't use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads