• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do Skills work in 13th Age?

Melkor

Explorer
Title really says it all. I have only had a chance to glance through the rulebook, but noticed that there wasn't a section for skills on the character sheet, so just wondering how the system handles them.

Thanks.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Title really says it all. I have only had a chance to glance through the rulebook, but noticed that there wasn't a section for skills on the character sheet, so just wondering how the system handles them.

Thanks.
You're looking for 'Backgrounds'. They replace skills in 13th Age, and they're kind of cool. Check out chapter 2.

Melkor

Explorer
I probably should have clarified that I flipped through the book in my FLGS.
I don't actually own it.

Was trying to learn how some things worked before picking it up.

Thanks.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Skills are simply ability checks. You get backgrounds and can put up to 5 points in a background. If your background applies to any ability check you add that bonus. For instance if you were a blacksmith, and you needed to identify a sword make or something, you would roll an int check and add your blacksmithing background. If you wanted to craft a sword, you might roll a str check, and add your blacksmithing background. Stuff like that. There is no set list of backgrounds.

Halivar

First Post
Also, when making a character you assign a point value to each background, up to 5 per (you get 8 total IIRC). This is your skill bonus when rolling a skill check against a background.

EDIT: Whoops, Evenglare posted exactly this before I refreshed! :eek:

Last edited:

Dungeoneer

First Post
Skills are simply ability checks. You get backgrounds and can put up to 5 points in a background. If your background applies to any ability check you add that bonus. For instance if you were a blacksmith, and you needed to identify a sword make or something, you would roll an int check and add your blacksmithing background. If you wanted to craft a sword, you might roll a str check, and add your blacksmithing background. Stuff like that. There is no set list of backgrounds.
To add to this nuts-and-bolts description, part of the idea is that there will be a negotiation between the player and the GM as to whether a background should apply and if so how. This process forces the player to expand on their character's backgrounds and is also a lot of fun. It's also less fiddly than scanning a list of skills to find a number.

My main gaming group liked backgrounds so much that they voted to scrap the skill system in our regular 4e game and replace it with backgrounds.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I also love backgrounds. One thing to note is that it might take some effort to have the players adapt to it, if they aren't used to this kind of style. When creating characters, I had several instances of players proposing skill names as backgrounds (i.e. Arcana, instead of Disciple of the Green Tower of High Arcana).

Also, for players used to 'standard' games, it can take some nudging to switch from "Can I apply this BG here?" to "My BG aply because...".

Remove ads