• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How about SciFi C&C?

Von Ether

Legend
Most of my d20 stuff is SciFi based, but hey I'm always looking for ways to speed up combat and such. How would you create alien species in C&C? Got an example?

Could you do a SIEGE based psionics system? Would the fighter wane in favor of a Ranger ranged weapon class? How would you handle vehicles?

Mythmere1

First Post
Von Ether said:
Most of my d20 stuff is SciFi based, but hey I'm always looking for ways to speed up combat and such. How would you create alien species in C&C? Got an example?

Could you do a SIEGE based psionics system? Would the fighter wane in favor of a Ranger ranged weapon class? How would you handle vehicles?

It wouldn't be hard to use the Siege engine in Sci-fi, but it would be a lot of work to get the rest of the mechanics -- C&C's pretty hard-wired as a fantasy game.

I like T20 for sci-fi, but my players are more into the Gothic style of SF - more like 40K (which I've never played).

Wasgo

Explorer
I was thinking about it too, but it does seem like a lot of work. Classes, for example, are not built on multiclassing. So, either every possible sci-fi ability set needs to be made into a class, or the class system needs to be altered. Nor does most of the default stuff like Races, Classes, Equipment or Spells from the PHB apply. With C&C being fairly light on the rules and at least one major part being scrapped, I don't think much of C&C would even end up getting used for a sci-fi game, though it's still hard to say.

Breakdaddy

First Post
If you get it done, post the conversion here. I would be interested to see this. Personally, I cannot think of a better D20 Sci Fi than T20, but that is just IMO. C&C rocks for fantasy though, and might be a very good rules lite sci fi as well.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Mythmere1 said:
I like T20 for sci-fi, but my players are more into the Gothic style of SF - more like 40K (which I've never played).

Ive been promising myself for a while now that I would do a WH40k conversion to T20, but time has been a factor. On the face of things, this would be a very easy conversion, since there are some really nice construction rules in T20 which could be brought to bear on the constructs of the imperium.

Turanil

First Post
I once considered porting C&C over to sci-fi but eventually abandoned the idea. C&C is really geared at D&D, without feats and skills that make the basis of sci-fi. Trying to make C&C to sic-fi doesn't work well if it works at all. If it is just to speed combat, just remove attacks of opportunity in a d20 sci-fi game (anyway, since most combats are likely to happen with guns at range, removing AoO shouldn't be a great loss).

jeff37923

First Post
Well, if you like d20 and science fiction then T20 works very well as far as I am concerned. For those who want something rules light, there are plenty of good ones out there - Classic Traveller, Cyberpunk and Cybergeneration, Mekton Zeta, d6 Star Wars (WEG) - are all very good. I have to give a tip o' the hat to Classic Traveller for completeness in basic rules (the 3 LBBs are all you need), d6 Star Wars for cinematic feel and adaptation, and Cybergeneration for the best little quick-and-dirty rules around (just check out this Cybergeneration PDF pamphlet by Firestorm Ink for the game). A lot of good stuff has been written for games and still exists out there waiting to be used, you just have to look for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads