• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 How a lord can be assassinated in DnD 3e?

Willing yes, but does it say that the spirit knows who is raising them? Or does it just say they know they are being raised?

Macbrea said:
This method should never work. For a couple of reasons.

1) The subject probably wouldn't come back to someone that just killed them. Because they would be unwilling to be raised by someone that could just kill them again. As per all the raise dead/ressurection/reincarnate spells, They must be willing.

2) The subject is a magic beast and can talk.

Now, there may be a easier way to do this with a cleric that can raise dead.

1) Kidnap his family.
2) Kill him and speak to him that you will torture his family unless he allows to raise him.
3) Kill him again.
4) Do step 2
rinse, repeat

Rill

First Post
Heirs

Simply have greedy heirs to the man's fortune. Maybe a meanspirited son, glad that he can now spend the wealth as he wishes (and not willing to spend the wealth bringing back dear old dad). That same son might still be angry at those who killed his dad, at least in appearance, and send bounty hunters or the local law on the trail of the assassins. Anyway, the merchant was wealthy when he was alive, but his death places his wealth in somebody else's hands. Their motivations are then up to you. (the DM)

-Rill

maddman75

First Post
Here's my little explaination

Being a Lord is a stressful and mostly thankless job. COnstantly watching your back, trying to control/support the people (depending on alignment), and dealing with snake tounged diplomats. So in general IMC when an NPC lord is killed, they refuse all attempts at resurrection, unless there are special circumstances.

Problem solved. Next!

Ysgarran

Some campaigns have created 'death blades' that permanently
kill its target. If you have read any of the Steven Brust series it
has some thoughts about a world where resurection is fairly
available. That world also has 'Morganti' blades that will
make sure the victim stays dead.

There is also plenty of variations of the 'soul eater' blades of
'The Eternal Champion" series.

AFAIK, none of this is canon D&D. On the other hand,
it doesn't strike me as to far of stretch that someone would
work on methods that truly ensure that your enemy isn't going
to come back to cause you problems.

My players usually go to great lengths to make sure
someone stays dead once they dispatch them. At high levels, they'll create a blade barrier just to toss the dead bodies into...

later,
Ysgarran.

Oni

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Now I am planning to make an adventure involving assassination of a lord. But how a lord can be assassinated in DnD 3e? He is an important man and also wealthy. There are always good (or greedy) clerics. Poison will be neutralized, wounds will be cured, curses will be removed, drained abilities will be restored. And even if he dies, he will certainly be resurrected. Do you guys have any idea?

What are the levels of the characters to be involved?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Kidnap the lord and lock him in a chamber (or pit) with a few summoned barghests. Once they use their feed ability and slay him no form of raising that requires body parts will work. And there is only a 50% change that even wish, miracle, or true resurrection works.

Obviously not 100% sure, but- it could work.

Christian

Explorer
DocMoriartty said:
Willing yes, but does it say that the spirit knows who is raising them? Or does it just say they know they are being raised?

They evidently know-I don't have my PH here, and there are no examples or flavor text in the SRD, but there's an example in the book of a bad guy trying to raise Alhandra which makes it quite clear how this works.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Simplest method:

Kill him and remove the head. Have the head animated. Until they find and destroy the head, not even a True Ressurection will bring him back...

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Nice Caliban.

Here's another- not easy though I guess.

Kidnap the lord, through him in a chamber with a ghost (using the template from Monsters of Faerun that allows a ghost to age the victim).

Or hire a wizard to craft a magic item that ages its target.

Using either method- age the lord until he dies from old age. Nothing can bring him back then.

phillcalle

First Post
What you need (and what I have in my by-the-book semi-satirical game world) are character assassins. Destroy your victim's reputation and will to live before you kill him--if you do your job well enough, you can get him to kill himself. Essentially this is done by framing the victim for certain repugnant crimes, getting his followers/family to turn on him, and generally treating him like Lucifer treated Job. If you do your job right, even if someone tries to resurrect him, he won't want to come back.

Remove ads