• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Holding a spell!

fuindordm

Adventurer
Am I mistaken, or is this the first edition that allows spellcasters to really "hold a spell" on the verge of going off, in cinematic fashion? For example, the player can say "I ready a lightning bolt and shoot it at the first monster that turns the corner."

In previous editions we would say this at the table but the spellcasting rules didn't permit the spell to go off instantly; the PC had to begin casting at the trigger event and the monster had time to notice the spellcasting and get back under cover, or perhaps charge.

Anyway, it's a neat little rule and I'm excited that it made it in. I also like the new shield spell, which I believe can be raised in time to block a readied magic missile.

Under the "Ready" action in combat (p.72):

"When you ready a spell you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs."

fba827

Adventurer
This is not the first edition to allow it. For instance, 4th edition allowed it.

But anyway yeah it foes allow for dome very cool cinematic moments :)

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I think what [MENTION=5435]fuindordm[/MENTION] is saying is: in 5B, if you ready to cast a spell, you cast it in that moment and then maintain concentration on it until the triggering event.

In 3e and 4e, you would ready to cast and then cast when the trigger happens.

The 5e version feels a touch more cinematic, because you have lightning dancing around your hands and need to worry about someone attacking you.

Thaumaturge.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Yes, in 3E the ready action doesn't change the casting time--you start performing your standard action at the trigger event but it still takes place in initiative order. In 5E you pre-cast the spell and you can explicitly interrupt someone else's action on the trigger event.

At least, that's how I've always interpreted the rule for 3E. Maybe I'm wrong.

For example, goblin goes on initiative 12 and wizard announced "I ready to cast a spell at the first monster that turns the corner." In 3E I think the RAW gives the goblin its full action before the wizard can go, so at the very least it can come out into the corridor, notice the party, and run back to where it came from (a single move action) before the wizard can cast.

It's a bit of a caster nerf also (I'll leave it to personal opinion on whether it is good or bad), since it appears that you expend the spell slot, and if the conditions don't come to pass before your next turn you lose the spell the same as if you get your concentration broken.

(Remember, the ready action ends at the start of your next turn.)

MarkB

Legend
Yes, in 3E the ready action doesn't change the casting time--you start performing your standard action at the trigger event but it still takes place in initiative order. In 5E you pre-cast the spell and you can explicitly interrupt someone else's action on the trigger event.

At least, that's how I've always interpreted the rule for 3E. Maybe I'm wrong.

For example, goblin goes on initiative 12 and wizard announced "I ready to cast a spell at the first monster that turns the corner." In 3E I think the RAW gives the goblin its full action before the wizard can go, so at the very least it can come out into the corridor, notice the party, and run back to where it came from (a single move action) before the wizard can cast.

It's possible it worked like that in 3e, but in 3.5e a Readied action will interrupt the action that triggers it. If you Ready to cast Lightning Bolt at the first monster to come round the corner, he won't get to even take another step before you fry him.

It sounds like you're confusing the rules for the Delay action with those for the Ready action.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
No, it worked the same in 3.0. The readied action interrupted the triggering action.

In 5e there are some differences. Since the spell is already cast, if the caster's concentration is broke, the spell is lost.

Mad Zagyg

Explorer
Magic Missile in OD&D could be cast and have the Missile's floating over your hand for several minutes before you directed them at a target. and they did 1d6 each.

Remove ads