• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Helms in 3.5e

Zerovoid

First Post
If I were going to have helms protect from critical hits, I would have them give an armor bonus that only applied when someone was rolling to confirm a critical.

So, maybe a Great Helm is +2. You have AC 20 and they roll a threath. When confirming the threat, you are treated as AC 22, and the bonus can be even higher with magic.

Shalewind

First Post
I cannot believe this thread is still active. Not as bad as Sladdi farming... but what is?

And the crit protection in CRPGs was great! I mean, all I have to do is wear a magical hat and violla! No double damage!

Shard O'Glase

First Post
well considering the computer cheats to make sure the ememies roll a 20 almsot 1 in 5 times it was a needed item. Or and the players only roll above 10 1 in 5 times yeah for cheating.

Loved the games but why couldn't they just make tougher encoutners instead of die roll cheating.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
niteshade6 said:
Sneak attacks didn't appear in baldur's gate (2e), but they did appear in Icewind Dale 2,

I disagree. Icewind Dale 2 has backstab with d6 bonus dice instead of damage multipliers that they call sneak attack. But they're still limited to melee weapons and to one per battle (and of course, it's only logical to rob the rogue of his main weapon in combat - it's a combat-heavy game, after all...:rolleyes: - but Icewind Dale isn't 3e anyway. 2.5 at best)

Shalewind said:
And the crit protection in CRPGs was great! I mean, all I have to do is wear a magical hat and violla! No double damage!

No. All you have to do is wear a perfectly normal helm, that costs you a couple of coppers in the local store (or 1gp, since the game has no lesser coins), and you avoid crits.

Remove ads