• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heal spells at +1 Caster level

dpdx

Explorer
Maybe I'm just dense, but...

I have a cleric PC in the IC threads who has Healing domain (Cleric1 of Pelor). The definition of the Healing domain says "casts Healing spells at caster level +1."

Now, he gets cantrips and first-level spells (CMW, CLW) straight out the box, and CMW always heals 1 point. No problem there.

Now, for my stupid, rules-lawyering, little munchkin questions:

I'm pretty sure that CLW, for my PC, heals d8+2+attribute bonus (without looking at the book). d8+1, cause it's a first-level spell, and then another +1 because he has that domain, and is casting it technically as a 2nd-level spell, plus the attribute. Is this technically correct?

Now for the worst question: Can the Healing domain power be interpreted in such a way, ever, that he can cast Cure Moderate (a 2nd-level healing spell) at first level? My inclination is not to think so, but

I await your answers/flames/patient explanations. Thank you.

Crothian

First Post
CLW wounds for you heald 1d8+2, there is no attribute bonus added to these spells. And no, the healing domain does not allow you to cast higher level spells earlier then normal.

Kaji

First Post
The +1 to caster level thing shows up lots of places. No, you don't actually get to cast higher level spells. The spells you currently cast are figured as if you were casting at one level higher. This should effect things like duration, range, and in your specific case, how many +'s to add on to the die of healing points. Hope that clears it up.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
dpdx said:

I'm pretty sure that CLW, for my PC, heals d8+2+attribute bonus (without looking at the book). d8+1, cause it's a first-level spell, and then another +1 because he has that domain, and is casting it technically as a 2nd-level spell, plus the attribute. Is this technically correct?
Not quite.
CLW cures 1d8+caster level. In your case, this is 1d8+2. Your attribute bonus does not affect the cured amount.

You count as a second-level caster for purposes of healing spells, but you are not casting a second-level spell. That's a fundamental difference.

Now for the worst question: Can the Healing domain power be interpreted in such a way, ever, that he can cast Cure Moderate (a 2nd-level healing spell) at first level? My inclination is not to think so, but I await your answers/flames/patient explanations. Thank you.
Your inclination is correct; this does not work. You cannot cast any second-level spells until you become a third-level cleric. The domain power does not let you get higher-level spells any earlier.

Last edited:

Jaxom

First Post
Also keep in mind that you can't go past the maximum +'s per caster level even with the Heal Domain

ex: CLW has a maximum of 1d8+5 for a 5th level caster. A 5th level caster with the Heal Domain is still going to have a 1d8+5.

Gumby

First Post
I house ruled the heck out of that one. Let the poor Healing Domain clerics have their extra point. But yes, CLW only goes up to +5 by the rules.

I put all those Domains up to +2 caster levels, like some of the ones in DotF. I'd also allow you to add the +2 to your max healing, so a CLW would eventually do 1D8+7 max. The only reason to take the Domain as it stands is if you spontaneously cast Cause _ Wound spells, and even a nuetral Cleric is unlikely to take it then. Might as well make it a little more attractive, and it also drastically increases low level life expectancies.

But to clarify one last time, a 1st level Cleric would heal 1D8+2, and no second level spells till you are 3rd level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads