• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you been disillusioned by the Forgotten Realms?

Have you been disillusioned by the Forgotten Realms?

• Yes

Votes: 107 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 142 49.5%
  • Other

Votes: 34 11.8%
  • What are these "Forgotten Realms" of which you speak?

Votes: 4 1.4%

Timeboxer

Explorer
Sister poll of the Eberron thread, because it occurred to me that comparison could be good. Similar questions:

· How do you feel about the setting now, and why do you feel that way?

· Are you as happy with it as you are Greyhawk and Eberron, the other two supported settings?

· Are you as happy with it as you used to be? Alternately, are you as unhappy with it as you used to be?

Storyteller01

First Post
Picked other.

Love the storyline, and it appears that players can now take a larger role in how the world will work. It's just that... there's too much going on. It's difficult to narrow the focus of the game when players have so many concepts they want to play, many of which can and do conflict with a DM's prepared story arc.

Another aspect I'm not comfy with is the escalation in power. Lots of magic and magic items to be had. Makes it difficult to focus on a storyline, since the ecalation eventually devolves into who can hit harder.

Others may not feel this way, but it is an opinion poll... :)

Silverleaf

First Post
I like the 1e FR. Basically the grey boxed set, and some of the first few supplements, and early Dragon magazine articles. I love that wide-open uncluttered feeling...

CronoDekar

First Post
I wouldn't say that I've particularly been disillusioned, mainly because I've never been particularly... illusioned? It's a decent setting -- I like the cosmology and some of the aspects of the world, but as a whole it just has never grabbed me. Haven't looked into Greyhawk so I can't say anything about that, but from what I know about it it doesn't seem to be my style of setting either.

Amy Kou'ai said:
Sister poll of the Eberron thread, because it occurred to me that comparison could be good. Similar questions:

Well, I haven't been "illusioned", of course.

· How do you feel about the setting now, and why do you feel that way?

Worse. Too many world-shattering changes, too many high-level good-aligned NPCs, too many novels focusing on drow, too many deities (IMO there should not be racial and concept deities in the same setting).

· Are you as happy with it as you are Greyhawk and Eberron, the other two supported settings?

Nope.

· Are you as happy with it as you used to be? Alternately, are you as unhappy with it as you used to be?

I am slightly less happy with it than I used to be, mainly due to the fiction and proliferation of elven subraces.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I wouldn't say "disillusioned", I'd just say bored.

There are too many gods, and each one matters very little.
It's like a giant sit-com.

-- N

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I picked 'other'

I hated the Rotten Realms back in the day, and never understood the obsession over them. In fact, I still don't.

That said, I've been buying the FR books released by WotC, and I'm always impressed with them - some really good stuff in there.

In fact, I ran my first FR campaign recently.

It still has elements (ie: the kitchen sink) that bother me, but overall, I'm a lot warmer towards the realms now than I was in 2001.

Psion

Adventurer
I went other, because I felt wrong saying "No" when I was never that deeply into it in the first place.

The setting is nice and has some very creative elements, but they never really seemed to fit together all that well to me. It has some great books (both 3e and ages past), but some stinkers and downright dull books. I'll cherry pick from it. I'll play in it. But I don't love it.

Remove ads