• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hasbro's Goldner - D&D up 50%

bmfrosty

Explorer
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/38069/games-drive-hasbro-sales-jump

A 20% increase in game sales over the same quarter last year drove growth for Hasbro in its Q2, reported Tuesday. Among those games, Dungeons & Dragonsgot a special shout-out from CEO Brian Goldner in an interview with Jim Cramer on Mad Money, in which he revealed that D&D sales (including digital) were up 50% over the previous year. Goldner also called out D&D growth in the conference call. “Dungeons & Dragons is performing at a very high level,” he said. “I think Dungeons & Dragons is back and the team has done some very expansive marketing around that.”

More at the link.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I anxiously await all the 5e haters to chime in about how that doesn't prove anything, and 5e is still a step backward, and how the designers are lazy, and ignoring fans, and we're all just apologists for them, yada yada yada

Personally, I don't know if 5e will ever take the mantle away from AD&D as my favorite edition, but D&D doing well is a good thing in general. For all gamers.

cmad1977

Hero
I anxiously await all the 5e haters to chime in about how that doesn't prove anything, and 5e is still a step backward, and how the designers are lazy, and ignoring fans, and we're all just apologists for them, yada yada yada

Personally, I don't know if 5e will ever take the mantle away from AD&D as my favorite edition, but D&D doing well is a good thing in general. For all gamers.

The guerill4 w4 lives on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warpiglet

Adventurer

AD&D gave me some of my biggest fun ever. However, 5e is causing a Renaissance of gaming for me and my long time pals and gaming buddies.

Things are simply looking up...they are on to something. I could go on at length about everything that is right...

The only convincing problems and complaints seem to arise from extreme focus on optimization. Stop that and this one is a gem...do that and it is still good but you gotta stop whining. Its like tracking a car and then being mad that you go through tires more quickly!

Remathilis

Legend
You'd almost think WotC knows what's its doing...

1.) Simplified yet modular system.
2.) Bi-annual storylines/modules with an annual rules expansion.
3.) Digital partnerships (Roll 20, FG, D&D Beyond) that actually work
4.) Heavy Digital/Streaming presence via Twitch and YouTube.
5.) DMs Guild fueling D&D-based fan content rather than d20-based content.
6.) Adventurer's League Presence in FLGS.
7.) Active engagement in "celebrity" level players, using them to promote the game.

Perhaps we'll be in a good place whenever they get that frakkin movie made.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Great news!

You'd almost think WotC knows what's its doing...

2.) Bi-annual storylines/modules with an annual rules expansion.
3.) Digital partnerships (Roll 20, FG, D&D Beyond) that actually work
4.) Heavy Digital/Streaming presence via Twitch and YouTube.
5.) DMs Guild fueling D&D-based fan content rather than d20-based content.
6.) Adventurer's League Presence in FLGS.
7.) Active engagement in "celebrity" level players, using them to promote the game.

Perhaps we'll be in a good place whenever they get that frakkin movie made.
Yes, especially (3), given the quote (they probably wouldn't have bothered to mention digital if it hadn't been significant). (Then again, 5-7 aren't really new. Though 6 may mean more, now, with the surge in boardgame popularity drawing people into FLGSs...)

1.) Simplified yet modular system.
Heh. Maybe they should have picked a word other than 'modular,' because 1) 5e is not remotely modular, you can't just snap out one 'module' and pop in another and have it all work seamlessly - they 5e modules are sample 'variants' (in the historic sense it's been used in the hobby) . 2) 'Module' in the game's historic parlance means 'published adventure' (typically 32-64 pgs).

Yeah, I know, grognard. ;|

And, 5e's not a simpler system, if it were, it wouldn't have the same appeal.
It's got less material in total, but the underlying system, especially the player-facing system of classes & class abilities, has only gotten more complex and less intuitive. It doesn't matter to long-time players, and it's positively a boon to returning players, because it's familiar. A feeling of familiarity, of 'I already got this down,' is far more important/powerful than a reality of actual (but novel) simplicity, that puts you back at square 1 (of fewer squares in total).

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Maybe they should have picked a word other than 'modular,' because 1) 5e is not remotely modular,

Yeah back in AD&D they did have a lot more modules. B1, G3, Q1, S4, they were great...
;)

gyor

Legend
Great news!

Yes, especially (3), given the quote (they probably wouldn't have bothered to mention digital if it hadn't been significant). (Then again, 5-7 aren't really new. Though 6 may mean more, now, with the surge in boardgame popularity drawing people into FLGSs...)

Heh. Maybe they should have picked a word other than 'modular,' because 1) 5e is not remotely modular, you can't just snap out one 'module' and pop in another and have it all work seamlessly - they 5e modules are sample 'variants' (in the historic sense it's been used in the hobby) . 2) 'Module' in the game's historic parlance means 'published adventure' (typically 32-64 pgs).

Yeah, I know, grognard. ;|

And, 5e's not a simpler system, if it were, it wouldn't have the same appeal.
It's got less material in total, but the underlying system, especially the player-facing system of classes & class abilities, has only gotten more complex and less intuitive. It doesn't matter to long-time players, and it's positively a boon to returning players, because it's familiar. A feeling of familiarity, of 'I already got this down,' is far more important/powerful than a reality of actual (but novel) simplicity, that puts you back at square 1 (of fewer squares in total).

I'd say it's more streamlined and effiently put together then simpler, it's a refinement of previous editions + a handful of new good ideas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads