• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Hasbro, Greyhawk, and 4E speculation

Dr. Harry

First Post
buzzard said:
The numbers you posted showed median for males as ~$40k and median for females as ~$31K. For a 4 person family you sum them and get $71K. The 2003 data shows that 4 person family median was $65K. This seems perfectly reasonable. I still wonder why you would ask about my numbers.

It is more appropriate to speak specifically about individual salaries, as opposed to the income of four-person households.

Your numbers are good only if both adults are working full time outside of the house. I contend (and I contend that the data on household incomes that I quoted bear this out) that this maximum is only reached in a limited number of households, I wager, peaking in those households with few children. I feel that the numbers I quoted are better measures for the analysis we are looking at here because they directly address individual incomes.

So in the interest of criticizing my analysis you decided to question my sources and compare apples to organges.

?

If we are looking at the individual salaries of game designers, we should look at average individual salaries.

I am not offended. I am annoyed that you would presume to correct something which isn't wrong, and actually doesn't even dissagree with your correction. Truthfully I'm probably more dumbfounded that you would waste your time questioning my numbers when a simple analysis would reveal that they agree with what you dug up.

The numbers that you quoted seemed high to me, so I did a quick check. As I said, I contend that my numbers are more accurate and more precise. I am not saying that you are an idiot, or that you "didn't comprehend it", but that there are numbers that are more precisely comparable, and thus would be better used. Using the household income for a household arrangement that is above the actual median value weakens your argument by some amount. Better is better. Granted, the original argument you are countering was weak enough on its face, but I don't see why you are so offended - oops, non-offended - by more data that strengthens your position.

I did a quick search myself because you didn't include your source in the original post. Thank you for including in your earlier response.

OK, you read it. You certainly didn't comprehend it then.

Let me explain carefully then.

I sure am glad you weren't offended - you might have gotten patronizing if you had gotten offended.

Drothgary cited $70K as a normal salary. Since I recalled that being around the median value for family income (generally assumed to be 2 wage earners) I decided to check on the facts and demonstrate this. I googled median family income. The census page I have cited came up. I then posted using those figures to demonstrate that he what he cited as being a 'normal' salary is about the same as that for a family of two wage earners. Hence you could say his assumed salary is double normal.

Probably even more than double due to the data set that you examined, in regard for households, but yes, about double when looking at individual salaries. Umm, this *strengthened* your position.

Then, for no apparent reason you look up numbers, which agree with mine. From this you decide to question my sources, and claim that my analysis was not germaine. In the interest of civility I will not respond further.

buzzard

I say that mine is more accurate, not that yours is worthless. I truly don't understand why you responded so strongly to the data I presented.

The reason was that I thought that your numbers seemed high to me. I didn't have your source, so I checked my own, and got that the median household income was $44,389, not $71,000. Not nearly every family has both wage-earners working at average or better for an individual.

I asked you what your source was; that's not "questioning your sources", it is certainly not the personal attack that you seemed to perceive.

I claimed that your analysis was not as precise as it could have been.

Interesting. You are saying that you are no longer able to remain civil with regard to me (and you might have been one post off when judging your limit, in this regard), but not in regard to the person who disagreed fully with you

Spell

First Post
Crothian said:
So, that brings up the following question: Who do you want to buy D&D??
my mum says she has some pocket money left from the last food shopping. i think she would be interested. how much is it?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads