• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Hackmaster and D&D 3E

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Being a fan of Hackmaster and D&D3E, I have been able to integrate many cool aspects of Hackmaster into my campaigns. I especially like the honor system, quirks and flaws, as well as "yield" for creatures. What have you integrated? How has it been working?

I think Hackmaster is a very good system, and has many interesting ideas that work well with D&D3E. The Hackmaster GM's Guide also has so many useful tables and information that works well with 3E. It certainly has enhanced my campaigns!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

mmadsen

First Post
Since I don't have Hackmaster (and I assume other's don't have it either), could you explain "the honor system, quirks and flaws, as well as 'yield' for creatures"?

Tsyr

Explorer
I WOULD use the quirks and flaws system, if I could figure out a way to use it in 3E without converting the hackmaster skill system over as well. I DO use the critical hit charts, and some of the random tables, as well as some of the spells, and I'm working on balanced rules for spelljacking too.

I'm not particularly fond of Hackmaster. Why? Because I've spent a LOT of money already, and I've ONLY got the PHB, DMG, and MM # 1 and 2. There's, what, another 4 or 5 MM to go? That's too much money, I don't want a game system where it takes $200 to get started....

Now, if they were to release a CD-ROM of the MM's, that would be great....

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Of course mmadsen!

The Honor System:

The honor system assigns various levels of points to starting characters, both as individuals, and as an adventuring group. The various actions, and accoplishments, like defeating enemies, or helping various people, accrues various benefits from your *clan* The clan is a family group that supports the character. There are also various nobles and other factions in society that pay attention to either reward characters actions, or register disapproval, and sometimes consequences, in tangible ways that actually mean something to the player-characters.

Quirks and Flaws:

This is a system of attributes for role-playing, like Obnoxious, or Absent-Minded, for example, that the player can select for their character. There are various benefits one gains from assigning flaws and such, like additional points to spend on something good for the character, while if the player is not faithful to the particualr *flaw* then, the DM can assign various actions or penalties. It seems to be an extra way in which players can detail their characters, while having tangible effects, both beneficial and baneful, to the character.

Yield:

Yield is the monetary, magical, chemical, or some other benefit that one gains upon successfully defeating a creature. Dragon Blood, for example, can be used in various spells. The yolk from a Tyrannosaurus Rex egg can be used to provide potions of strength, or the hide of a Giant Ape can be made into top-quality leather armor. Things like that, for many different creatures, are detailed.

Pretty neat, huh?:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

mmadsen

First Post
The Honor System:

The honor system assigns various levels of points to starting characters, both as individuals, and as an adventuring group. The various actions, and accoplishments, like defeating enemies, or helping various people, accrues various benefits from your *clan* The clan is a family group that supports the character. There are also various nobles and other factions in society that pay attention to either reward characters actions, or register disapproval, and sometimes consequences, in tangible ways that actually mean something to the player-characters.

That reminds me of Pendragon (which you brought up in another thread) both in that Pendragon labels "experience" as "glory", and in that it places characters quite strongly in a social milieu with expectations and rewards (beyond "the king tells you to kill the monsters; you can keep the loot").

Quirks and Flaws:

This is a system of attributes for role-playing, like Obnoxious, or Absent-Minded, for example, that the player can select for their character. There are various benefits one gains from assigning flaws and such, like additional points to spend on something good for the character, while if the player is not faithful to the particualr *flaw* then, the DM can assign various actions or penalties. It seems to be an extra way in which players can detail their characters, while having tangible effects, both beneficial and baneful, to the character.

Pretty typical for a modern game system. Does Hackmaster use a point-buy mechanic though?

Yield:

Yield is the monetary, magical, chemical, or some other benefit that one gains upon successfully defeating a creature. Dragon Blood, for example, can be used in various spells. The yolk from a Tyrannosaurus Rex egg can be used to provide potions of strength, or the hide of a Giant Ape can be made into top-quality leather armor. Things like that, for many different creatures, are detailed.

Ah, I love that, and it's one of my favorite aspects of Chivalry & Sorcery. If you crack open the C&S Creature Bestiary, you can find a long list of uses for Dragon Scales, Dragon Bone, Great Eagle Feathers, etc. Love it.

Pretty neat, huh?:)

Quite neat, SHARK.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I've been a cheerleader for HackMaster since it came out. SHARK has it correct about it being a very useful mine of ideas, as well as a fun game in and of itself. However, it could collapse under its own weight if all the rules were used all the time. Some of the stuff is 1e stuff I rarely used even back in the day, like racial level limits. But the books are great reads, and are well worth the price, especially for anyone who cut their teeth on 1e.

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
SHARK said:
Greetings!

Yield:

Have you seen the exerpt from the monsternomicon by privateer press for the iron kingdoms? Supposedly, every monster has a special "treasure" section which details stuff just like your, well, "yield".

WSmith

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I've been a cheerleader for HackMaster since it came out. SHARK has it correct about it being a very useful mine of ideas, as well as a fun game in and of itself. However, it could collapse under its own weight if all the rules were used all the time. Some of the stuff is 1e stuff I rarely used even back in the day, like racial level limits. But the books are great reads, and are well worth the price, especially for anyone who cut their teeth on 1e.

Greetings! How is it going SHARK! It is good to hear from you again.

Colonel Hardisson's cheerleading is one of the main reasons I purchased the HM PHB. Through various posts I see we have a lot of ideas in common. I am not at all sorry.

I am still reading through the book, but it has been very entertaining so far. I do agree with the Col.'s above statement. When reading the chapters I see stuff that I think to myself, "I won't use this, or this," pretty much in an attempt to whittle it down to an upgraded 1e. There is a lot of rules added. But as far as I can tell, the 1e type stuff and be stripped out wholesale can used as such.

Last edited:

Noah Kolman

First Post
Hey everyone,

I am glad you are all enjoying HackMaster and 3e together. I personally think there are a lot of great rules you can bring into a 3e game from HackMaster. In addition to the ones mentioned, how about trying:

Armor and Shield hit-point regression
20 hit-point kicker and penetration damage
Social Class, Order of Birth, Quality of Parent, etc.
School training for levels and skills

I think all of these could be great in a 3e game if you wanted to try them out. If you do, let me know what you think!

Remove ads