• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

In my experience, this has been going on for decades. I’ve come across a fair few in the FR.
It's one of the reasons I'm honestly baffled they weren't included in Monsters of the Multiverse with the changeling and shifter...

Kalashtar are firmed hooked into Eberron lore in a way that's hard to disentangle, but for all their Eberron-specific flavoring, the core idea of what warforged are is remarkably setting neutral.

It seems that the idea of Greyhawk as a unique setting with a distinct "flavor" is extremely overwhelmingly unpopular. So ok, turning GH into just another FR with everything and the kitchen sink thrown with no logic also seems to be the prevailing desired viewpoint. All good, just add every single thing from all the 5e/6e books and just who cares about GH as a setting, it's just stupid old thing anyway, right, it's basically just throw away trash if it's not "super current"? All change is good, no matter what, because change.

Who cares, wotc can do no wrong, they are perfect, especially now a days. So ok I don't have any more energy or time to fight the tidal wave of wotc can do no wrong and GH is stupid anyway so let's change it all to make it exactly the same as FR or whatever. I have an actual d&d game to prep for, so I leave the 6e GH/FR or whatever it is to the all the brand new day 1 customers and carry on enjoying other things. That's the message, right?

I've said many times what I really think, and how it would make sense to add stuff to GH in really good way. But that doesn't matter, it's all or nothing. If you want to preserve anything from the past setting you are the "enemy" basically, out to do evil for "bad" reasons. Change it all or you are not welcome is much more of the message.
It sounds like you don't understand Greyhawk. Greyhawk was the original setting that everything was included in.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don’t like high maintenance when DM. By that I mean a character who must always steer the party to their idiosyncratic ends—-unless others enjoy it too.

Then again a LG Paladin played rigidly is often unfun.

I try to play unique but not to anyone’s detriment. That’s the key and some level of congruence with the world. Some. But I find it’s not hard to have a weird race that hails from far off. Maybe just not cities full of them…
Yes! Again, I'm talking about a spectrum while others keep framing my arguments as absolutes. Easier to engage with that way, I suppose.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
"Sword & Sorcery in a world of danger and adventure" is dead, and buried, that is old, and should be destroyed in modern gaming. That is the prevailing message. Not for me, but that sure will get a lot more support than trying to add new stuff to a classic setting in a "respectful thoughtful" way. That idea is considered bad and must have ill intentions, because it's from "before", and "before" is all bad.
You are arriving with the presupposition that, without having read this chapter, Greyhawk cannot survive its publishing. It does feel like unwarranted hyperbole to me. I will withhold judgement until I have a copy before me.

Could you provide an example how you would “respectfully, thoughtfully” add 2024 PHB content to Greyhawk?

Micah Sweet

It's going to be amusing in the probable event of the DMG coverage of the setting being so bare-bones that it renders all the arguments in this thread moot. Other than those who will still insist that if the DMG didn't explicitly forbid the things they want forbidden, it's still all wrong.
Oh, I expect that's exactly what will happen. I don't even really care about Greyhawk specifically, although I always want more settings on the Guild. I just find the issue interesting to talk about.

AstroCat

Adventurer
It sounds like you don't understand Greyhawk.
No, I do actually. But it seems to be a hostile and offensive idea to want to preserve any of the flavor of GH that makes it an interesting and unique setting. Even if adding new things is ok if done in a thoughtful and organic manner, that too seems to be a bridge too far, and far too restrictive. Seems extreme to me, but that's the vibe I'm getting from this thread. Anything from before is bad, all things new are good is the underlying base line. Again not for me, but any suggestions I've made of adding new things while preserving the setting have been met with negativity.

Micah Sweet

Right, who cares, the lore and history of the setting is stupid and doesn't matter.
To be fair, the specifics of the lore and history aren't super important to a chapter on introductory worldbuilding (even if using a specific existing world as an example), just the fact of them.

No, I do actually. But it seems to be a hostile and offensive idea to want to preserve any of the flavor of GH that makes it an interesting and unique setting. If if adding new things is ok if done in a thoughtful and organic manner, that too seems to be a bridge too far, and far to restrictive. Seems extreme to me, but whatever.
What flavor needs to be preserved and is ruined by things existing in it? Cause that is the question. Greyhawk is literally the original Kitchen Sink setting. Everything in the D&D books were assumed to exist there.

Remove ads