• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
No, they really don't need to know it. With my example, I just made up the Mystic Order of the Golden Fists. I expect the players to simply use their imaginations and we'll either make something up or adapt their idea to something already existing in the setting.
And considering how bare-bones the initial presentation was, "adapt" can mean something as simple as "use this place name".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I do love the "dungeon as gold rush" feel.
Gygax's goal with the different nations/regions in Greyhawk is to set up sub-genres of Fantasy as geography, basically: each nation gets their situation briefly described, and is meant to evoke a different set of genre tropes and Adventure possibilities. So Greyhawk the city is there for straight classic Leiber-esque urban picaresque with OG D&D style megadungeon play.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
The Greyhawk way.
This is The Way.
1715953387896.png

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Maybe they will at least finally address that it is okay to limit options for the purpose of setting coherence. "Dwarves in Greyhawk can't use arcane magic, so they may not be Wizards."

Lol. No. That is NEVER going to happen.
That's the only way I would run D&D in Greyhawk. I don't think that will be popular with the Actual Play viewers who seem to be the bulk of the base right now. At least on paper.

Remove ads