• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GO:V] A Game of Opposites: Villains OOC (Heroes Stay out!)

Timothy

First Post
Ahhh, welcome, my dark minions, we have matters to discuss, yes we have....

I would like everyone to post their favorite monster, majority will decide or a diplomatic option if possible.

My first choice would be mind Flayers in an underdark location.
You'll have some slaves and hulks as companions and will have some mindflayer eggs (? how ARE mind flayers born/created?) to protect.

If any of you have different oppinions, let's hear them!

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Is this a new game or are you just asking for players you allready have in something?

Also if this and that heroes game are looking for new players I gotta decide which one to join.

arwel

First Post
Mind flayers sound fun to me. I like the idea of protecting the eggs from the greedy heroes who are out to rob us and mercilessly slay our unborn :)

Mindflayers procreate by cool means. They spawn little tadpoles (kikkervisjes dus in het nederlands), they nurish these and later they implant them in a host body, prererably human or drow or something. Then the tadpole takes over the hosts body and mind and slowly transforms the body into that of a mindflayer.

This rarely happens though since it's thought to be the greatest of honors... from cattle to illithid, the ultimate priviledge and ascension.

Illithid society is based on this principle:

2 thousand illithid in a large city with about 40,000 slaves and 20,000 thralls. These are the bulk of the city population.

then there are about three councils which exist of about 10-20 Illithid, one consists of the devellopers and the loremasters that keep track of literature and magic and psionics, one that gouverns daily life and organises the city and trade, and one that organises the army and defense and offense (this includes raids for new slaves and thralls on other places so they keep the slave and thrall population at a steady level.)

These three councils are ruled by a council of about 5-8 old and wise Illithid who effectively rule the city and make plans for it. They rule the three other councils and they report to them and to them alone.

Above all of this is the Elder Brain, the Elder Brain is as it says a HUGE brain which is made up of the essense of dead mindflayers. Once a mindflayer dies it's brain mass it added to the Elder Brain who then gains it's knowledge and powers. Needless to say Elder brain are VERY powerfull and their power almost of the scale. Just 1 Elder Brain exists per city, they are it's king, it's library, it's oracle, it's gateway to Ilsensine the god of the Illithid.

--

This is about how it works, Illithid are divided in casts, a Illithid joins a cast, the researchers and keepers, or the merchants and diplomatics or the war and army cast. Illithid without cast are not exepted and are treated as outcasts. These exept their fate and carry no grudge against their kin in the cities, they weren't good enough or evil enough or orderly enough, they failed their kin and they exept their fate (99% of the time). They wander the planes and the underdark to do evil and do something great to regain their status in a city and to be allowed back into a cast and to fit in with their race again. Every Illithid believes that to be Illithid is to be the highest form of life and all non illithid are mere cattle and should be kept in farms for food and to do their work for them so they can live in luxury and relaxation.

So to regain a status and a place in a cast in a Illithid city is to be accepted back into perfect soceity and to be accepted back amongst the most superior species ever. So 99,999999% of the exiled Illithid try to prove themselves to be accepted back.

Hop that was a bit of help on the mindflayer subject. (Yes they are my favorite species along with Formians and Slaadi :p My top 3: 1)Formians 2)Mindflayers 3)Slaadi :p

[Edit: The tadpoles are kept in the pool in which the Elder Brain lives, a huge pool of cerebral fluid in which the tadpoles swim and live, they are nurished by the fluid and the Elder Brain. Elder Brains are at least huge or Gargantuan Size and something like CR 30 orso... (not counting the 2000 illithid and 60000 thrall army that would guard it with their lives). They carry the wisdom power and experience of about a few hundreds of even a few thousand Illithid with them so they are with no doubt up there with the most intelligent and most wise creatures that exist on any plane, they are up there with the archdevils and demon princes. So going about killing those tadpoles would even be out of Elminsters league, even if he and his whole Mystra cast would assault a minflayer city they would die so damned fast...
Btw Elder Brain can communicate telepathically with any creature within 500 miles... So they will most likely know you are comming if their intellect and incredible and unimaginable hypercognition and precognition powers told them anyway. Out of almost everyones league :D /Edit]

Last edited:

Timothy

First Post
Ah great TFO, thx for the info.

So IF we're going for mindflayers, this'll be the mission for you guys.

You've been sent by the council of war to create a small colony on the boarders of a great drow city. This city has recently expanded a great deal, and the council decided that they should have an organized outpost in this area. You have been given 10 tadpoles to increase your number if need be. You have thralls of twice your number, and slaves thrice your number. The slaves mostly consist of Umber Hulks, but you have a couple of goblinoids that you captured as well. You have been given some funds to get whatever you need from a nearby market place run by Svirneblinn (sp?). The drow in this region are hostile toward you, but the marketplace is safe for both.
So, you are required to get an outpost going in one of the caves near the drow city and defend it from attacks that may come from you.

(Again, if anybody has another idea, plz say so, and we can discuss that)

perivas

First Post
Considering the variety of possible characters posted here, I have no problems with it. I think I'll go with a goblin shaman, if that's okay with everyone. I like surprises for the enemy.

Aside: BTW, should we get this thread moved to the "Talking the Talk" group. And, Jemal, now that you've posted here...I guess you must become a vile illithid!

Timothy

First Post
hmm, you wanna play some of the slaves? I don't think that is possible, because you'll be severly limited in your movements. But if you don't mind roleplaying obediance againt the illithid, you'll be a special slave that has reaised to a better status within the community.

And PKitty will move the thread.

Timothy

First Post
Since no almost nothing about psionics and don't own the psionics handbook, psionics will just be spells, as described in the MM at the mind flayer entry.

Also, does anyone know the ECL for Mindflayers? (although It'll probarly not be precise enough to use it)

Remove ads