• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Give Me Three Reasons to Play Dragonlance

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
First, derp and thanks Kamikaze. :D

Second, my own list of three...

1. Classic high fantasy setting with a touch of romantic fantasy thrown in.
2. Time travel!!!!
3. The classic DL adventures form one of the first adventure paths.

HobbitFan

Explorer
I'll try to answer a bit differently than the rest of you guys but still answer the question:

1. Margaret weis and Tracy Hickman
2. Doug Niles
3. Richard Knaak

Half the posts in this thread are just short lists of names or races with no explanation at all. Speaking as someone who's never read the novels, never played DL, and to whom DL has always seemed boring as hell, y'all are not yet doing a great job convincing me that this setting is worth investigating.

In contrast, I had previously had about the same level of disinterest in Greyhawk, but the other thread actually swayed me. Step it up, Dragonlance fans, lest I'm forced to conclude your setting is just objectively more boring!

aramis erak

Legend
The races on Krynn are not quite the standards.
The Elves are elves, yes, but the subraces have more schtick than in baseline AD&D, and probably will if a DL for 5E is done.
The Irda: "High Ogres" - a lost civilization and basically refugees.
Minotaurs: Civilized and organized. And available as PC's.
The Kender: Kender are not halflings, per se... but are close enough for most purposes. And anything not nailed down might wind up in its pockets. But they always leave something else in its place. Racial pathological kleptomania.
The Gnomes are almost always tinkers - the Gnomish Devices are taken to new heights of risk and depravity.
Gully Dwarves - take a trope, and then play against it. Mentally retarded compared to other dwarves; also, not nearly so greedy.

The stories are excellent reads.
The Atlas of Krynn makes for a wonderfully playable world

There are really big stories told, and the Gods only act through their chosen ones. There is no shortage of big plots left to happen.

This is the gameworld where Dragons partner with Humanoids to fight on both sides of the war... and allow themselves to be ridden. High level PC's can eventually join those ranks.

Even the 5th age is interesting: Clerics and wizards lose most of their potency, and the schools of magic falter, meanwhile Malystryx decimates large swathes of Ansalon... the evil empire are dragons and draconians, subjugating the rest, while PC's tend to be either in the areas not yet taken, or an active underground within... Yes, I just got Star Wars into your D&D... but, really, it's not a bad comparison.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads