• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon housing is open!

The new system was OK. It DIDN'T work well with my Chrome browser, though. Firefox ran fine and I got my room. What was a little weird was how rooms became available after being marked UNAVAILABLE. A little nerve racking but I got my rooms so I'm good now.:)

Huh, I used Chrome and had no problems.

Got my room in the Embassy with the cool kids.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The new system was OK. It DIDN'T work well with my Chrome browser, though. Firefox ran fine and I got my room. What was a little weird was how rooms became available after being marked UNAVAILABLE. A little nerve racking but I got my rooms so I'm good now.:)
That's why I stick to good old IE. It never quite works 100% but it keep on clunking along and eventually - usually - does what I want. Sometimes hammers are involved.

The availability thing might have been due to this: when you start out reserving a room the system holds it for you for 10 minutes, and if you don't complete the reservation in time then the room goes back in the bucket for someone else to grab. You were probably seeing rooms reappearing in the bucket after being on 10-minute hold.

Lan-"who may sound like he knows what he's talking about but is just repeating what's on the GenCon site"-efan

Animus

Explorer
So if a person can't register until March what are his chances of getting a hotel room? I'll be a first-timer this year. W00t!

LordVyreth

First Post
This my first year going alone. My dad I used to do Gen Con tomorrow as a sort of bonding thing, but financial difficulties hit us both hard in 2009, and I'm only just recovering (and he still has a ways to go.) So I booked it this time. It wasn't that bad. Apparently there's a new hotel in the area, which helped a lot A day after housing started and I still got a spot in the Hilton. Mind you, if my dad isn't up for it I still need to find a second person to help pay for all this...

noffham

Explorer
So if a person can't register until March what are his chances of getting a hotel room? I'll be a first-timer this year. W00t!

That's a tough question. There were 100s of new rooms this year and people drop rooms as plans change all the time.

Best advice I can give is to register as soon as you can and then start checking the Gen Con housing portal. You can also call the Indy Housing Bureau (once you've registered for the show) and get placed on a waiting list for your preferred hotel; many people end up with their favored room from the wait list.

And enjoy the glorious geek-gasm that is Gen Con!

hexgrid

Explorer

I don't think you'll have trouble getting a room, it just might be a couple blocks farther away. It will still be well within walking distance- there are a lot of hotels in the area.

Remove ads