• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E GenCon - 4e News.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, but look at how many people mine 2E and 1E setting products. An updated version of these settings that was closer to the current ruleset would be a boon to a lot of people in the 4E era.

mhensley

First Post
So... 4th edition will be announced in 2/07 and released when? At winter fantasy 08? At gencon 08? 2/08 would be a year after announcement but it seems dumb to release right after xmas. 8/08 release date would be good placement for xmas 2008, but would be 18 months after the announcement. That's a long time to try to still sell people 3.5 stuff.

If the announcement was on 2/07, they would be best off bringing it out at Gencon 2007.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
mhensley said:
That's a long time to try to still sell people 3.5 stuff.
That's when you bust out all the products people demand but you don't want to give them. Let them fill up on junk food like campaign settings you won't support in the new edition (when you jump FR and Eberron each forward 10 years). :]

jeffh

Adventurer
A'koss said:
Kevin stated today; "..the show currently known as Winter Fantasy will be the primary place to push D&D and 2007 will reveal a lot".

I thought that quote on the front page looked truncated. "The primary place to push D&D and 2007" doesn't make much sense, but this does.

Treebore

First Post
The two WOTC employees I talked to today said there is unequivecably (sp?) absolutely NO work being done on 4E, and no rumor/hint of it being done AT ALL at any time in their offices. Seemed pretty clear to me.

Didn't hear anything about Winter Fantasy, but I wasn't asking or looking for that kind of info, so.

yipwyg

First Post
I don't think that they would, even if asked, tell someone that yes it is coming out or that they are working on it. If they mentioned it right now, ahead of when or if they plan to, they might lose sales on products that are coming out. I mean if these people signed NDA's, they are bound to not tell anyone what is going on, til the company is ready to announce it.

Personally I think that it will be either this winter fantasy or next winter fantasy that they announce it. Right now it looks like they are releasing products to expand on the various new systems that they released. Eberron also looks like it might be getting wrapped up. I mean a Book detailing Sarlona is coming out next year. I think that mainly just leaves perhaps a couple more realms and the dragon continent to get detailed.

We will see what happens

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
AH-HA!!! So I am right! They're publishing 4e before 2010! Sneaky. :]

But we knew that.

10 years between editions is too long. It just is. And unless you are counting 3.5 as a new edition, then 2010 would be 10 years, which is too long imo.

If you count 3.5 as a new edition (and I can see arguments both ways) then 2010 would be 6-7 years, which I can see as a reasonable time frame.

4-5 years between editions seems to be viable, but WOTC has a much stronger product than most of the companies working on the 5 year plan, so they can afford to wait longer. Not much though, imo.

Waiting 10 years is using money in the fireplace instead of logs.

Chuck

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
mhensley said:
If the announcement was on 2/07, they would be best off bringing it out at Gencon 2007.

Especially since this would give them the six months between announcement and release that mainstream book stores require for new products.

Treebore

First Post
yipwyg said:
I don't think that they would, even if asked, tell someone that yes it is coming out or that they are working on it. If they mentioned it right now, ahead of when or if they plan to, they might lose sales on products that are coming out. I mean if these people signed NDA's, they are bound to not tell anyone what is going on, til the company is ready to announce it.

Personally I think that it will be either this winter fantasy or next winter fantasy that they announce it. Right now it looks like they are releasing products to expand on the various new systems that they released. Eberron also looks like it might be getting wrapped up. I mean a Book detailing Sarlona is coming out next year. I think that mainly just leaves perhaps a couple more realms and the dragon continent to get detailed.

We will see what happens

Since one of the WOTC employees was standing right next to his college room mate buddy, who makes his living as a third party publisher, I don't think he was lying. NDA, or no. Plus the WOTC employee was a director of a department that would definitely hear about 4E.

I think some people may just be wanting to insist 4E is happening no matter what "facts" are presented.

4E is coming, but not yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads