• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GE] A Game Of Elves, ElfQuest d20, OOC

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Code:
Hail, CG Wolf-rider Beast-rider2 PHBBarbarian3

Str 16 +3 
Dex 16 +3 (+2 racial)
Con 16 +3 (+2 racial)
Int 10 +0
Wis 12 +1
Cha 10 +0 (-2 racial)

HD: 5d12+15 (37 hp)
Init: +3
Speed: 40ft
AC: 16 (+3 Studded Leather, +3 Dex)
Saves: F +7  R +6  W +2

Attack: MW Battleaxe, +10  melee, 1d8+3 x3
(Rage): MW Battleaxe, +12  melee, 1d8+5 x3

Skills: (32 pts)
Animal Empathy  +4   4
Handle Animal   +8   8
Jump            +6   4 
Ride            +11* 8
Wilderness Lore +9   8
(*+2 on Quicksnap)

Feats: Alertness, WeapFoc(BAxe), [Mounted Combat]

Special: Rage 1/Day (7 rounds), Fast Movement, Uncanny Dodge(Dex), Animal Bond +1

Items:
MW Battleaxe
MW Studded Leather

---

Quicksnap, Wolf

Str 13 +1 
Dex 15 +2
Con 15 +2
Int  2 -4
Wis 12 +1
Cha  6 -2

HD: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Init: +2
Speed: 50ft
AC: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural)
Saves: F +5  R +5  W +1

Attack: Bite, +3  melee, 1d6+1 x2

Skills: (32 pts)
Hide            +3
Listen          +6
Move Silently   +4
Spot            +4
Wilderness Lore +1*
(*+4 when tracking by scent)

Feats: Weapon Finesse (Bite)
Special: Trip, Scent

Still need to work on items (are magic items available?)... Also, can we customize the wolves at all (perhaps just a point-buy 18 or so?)

Further, how are you handling mount advancement? Strictly as with Paladin mounts (requiring Beast-rider levels), or do they gain experience? I have a feeling that most will be severely at risk in combat as levels increase (esp. considering that beast-rider is primarily intended as a multiclass supplement)

Timothy

First Post
Ah, the first char!

Magic items as per DMG, the game is set soemt ime after the fall of the citadel, and the elves maintain friendly relations with one kingdom of men (ruled by the children of shuna) where they can get magic items from. Humans have evolved to a status similiar as the PHB.

I'm sorry I haven't repleid, but my connection was down, I'm now on my dial-up. Hope it will be back this afternoon.

Sniktch

First Post
Argh! Can't believe I missed this thread before now, as I used to be a huge Elfquest fanatic (haven't read anything in ten years though). I'll definitely keep my eye on it, though - Timothy, count me as an alternate against game attrition if you would :)

I'm going to print out all the custom rules you've decided on, and I'll give you my take on them once I've finished reading...

Guilt Puppy

First Post
I'll have magic items worked up soon... Still mulling the character over in my mind, figuring out what he'd have. Also, in terms of history, are we trying to tie it into the book? If so, does anyone remember if Skywise's Go-Back daughter (name, anyone remember?) is still alive or not?

Heh, the details of the series (esp later stuff) escape me still...

Oh, BTW, big word of warning: I'm changing the magic system a little here and there... More costs are being lowered than being raised, some new abilities are being added, but in some cases restrictions are being imposed. I've weakened Practiced Casting to one point ignored per taking of the feat... Also thinking about setting the base Int at 13+ for it -- or even nerfing it entirely -- as it's an extremely powerful ability when using Ritual magic. Another possibility is simply qualifying that it only applies to the first round of a Ritual effect.

Also some basic errata... For instance, the Sender had two wholly different abilities called "Sense Location." Whoops :)

Guilt Puppy

First Post
ElfQuest Magic, v 2.0

Changes:

- Clarified some rules on when the subdual damage occurs, attacks of opportunity, and the like.

- Clarified some spells.

- Altered the way the Healer deals with subdual damage (it now costs two points to heal one point of subdual damage.)

- Changed Plant-shapers damage to be based around 1d4+1's, as opposed to 1d6's (same average, less range.)

- Substantially increased power of spell-shaper magic, to account for their other weaknesses. Based damage around 1d8+1.

- Added Sense Magic to the Sender's spell-list, and corrected some mis-namings.

- Added Combat Casting

- Substantially weakened Practiced Casting, as it was just asking for abuse.

- Changed the mechanics for the Sender's Wisdom bonus to armor class, making it less open to abuse. (Note that in the example, I forgot to specify the Sender was wearing a chain shirt. Oops!)

- Altered some costs here and there to try to balance the spell-casters a little more between each other, and those in the PHB.

Note that the stone-shaper is now extremely powerful in a cavern -- although extremely weak most other places. This is not the best way to balance a class, but given flavor reasons it seemed like the only option aside from having an altogether too-weak class. Plant-shapers run into similar problems, although they have the benefit of better hit points, skill points, and attack rolls, and are thus a little weaker in the forest than the stone-shaper is in a cave (although both classes are still extremely potent).

I may change some abilities around to make the shapers' damaging effects and the telekin's damaging effects resemble each other more, but I still haven't decided which model I want to keep, or whether that's really at all necessary. (It's still a little odd to have some effects cost a plus per radius, and others a times per radius, but considering it should really be times radius squared I guess both are equally wrong :) )

Timothy

First Post
great work once again guilt puppy. I think I'll post aal the rules in one post and re-recruit some players, so we can actually get to playing.

Game will start in the coming week...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads