• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games that never start

Wippit Guud

First Post
SOmeone posted a topic about games that just seem to stop happening, has anyone else noticed that a lot of games that just don't start? I know I signed up for 2 or 3 that just haven't happened, and these were games from 2-3 weeks ago.

KitanaVorr

First Post
Well for me its player interest.

If all of my players who signed up aren't interested, I lose interest. And once I lose interest, there's no coming back from that.

Once the game begins in the IC thread, I'm usually good. And I have no qualms about getting rid of players who don't seem to be interested at all or who aren't willing to put some effort into it because they will take down the fun level for everyone else in the game.

Ascending Crane

First Post
I'm concerned about this as well. I wanted to run a game here, but I can't find enough players to fill the slots. Does this always happen, or perhaps I chose the wrong type of game to DM...?

Jemal

Adventurer
Well I know my Strange New World game hasn't started, but I want it to start and I actually have a good reason... For some reason my Computer won't let me start new threads... for the last like 2 weeks almost.

Speaking of which.. anyone know why the hell that's happening?

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Drives me nuts, too. For one thing I'm downright saddened that the Survivor game doesn't look like a go... There was a lot of initial interest, but then suddenly it sinks away. Very disappointing. I could try running it with fewer players, but then I'd have to rework the challenges I've already gotten planned for it, and four players at a time was already a little scant on the competition element.

There are three more I've signed up for that never started... Game of Opposites: Villains is in the abyss (although the hero thread is going, which is confusing), Game of Elves had a lot of interest, but I think I'm still the only one to put up a character sheet... I inadvertently got included in the four-players-versus-the-dragon game, but once I was in I spent a good amount of time putting together what was IMO a pretty whoop-assing dragon-slayer.

Not sure why this happens, exactly. A Game of Trust was an instant go, and I think its design may have contributed to that: There was no signing up period, it was just the first six people to post in character. I've lost two players since then, but the ones who remain all seem pretty dedicated -- or at least they have some really well personified characters.

I think that may be a fluke, and the opposite is still more what I'd suggest: Keep slots open until people submit full characters, including background. This deters the impulse "I'd love to play!" posters, and means that the roster doesn't get full until there are x number of people who have actually put some kind of investment into it.

dpdx

Explorer
Perhaps another reason the Game of Trust was an instant go (at least for those of us who are left, grumble) is because you made it clear at the outset that new PbPers would get a shot, GP. Thank you.

When I signed up, I felt encouraged to join. I had the requisite materials (in this case, PHB), which removes a BIG barrier to entry, and I got to finally play a cleric, which I've wanted to for a long time but never got the chance. So Trust was tailor-made to be my first try at PbP on ENWorld, and I appreciate it more than someone else playing in their 10th, or whatever. Oh, and I love the story.

So I'll be there as long as you will, GP. Thanks again.

Zhure

First Post
Jemal said:
Well I know my Strange New World game hasn't started, but I want it to start and I actually have a good reason... For some reason my Computer won't let me start new threads... for the last like 2 weeks almost.

Speaking of which.. anyone know why the hell that's happening?

Try clearing your internet cache.

Greg

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
Drives me nuts, too. For one thing I'm downright saddened that the Survivor game doesn't look like a go... There was a lot of initial interest, but then suddenly it sinks away. Very disappointing. I could try running it with fewer players, but then I'd have to rework the challenges I've already gotten planned for it, and four players at a time was already a little scant on the competition element.

I think your best bet is to say the first four characters posted are in the first challenge, rather than accept players and wait for the character sheets. Anyone who posts after the first four becomes an alternate (raising your character a level or two doesn't require much work).

I'd also recommend posting. We haven't heard from you in a while, and the thread is near the bottom of the first page. Aren't there other alternates waiting?

ragboy

Explorer
I'm looking...

...for a game. If anyone has any slots for just a straight D&D game, lemme know. I have a lot of books from various d20 sources, including all the Wotc stuff. I'm partial to homebrew worlds or Greyhawk. (Never got in to FR, DL, etc). Though if someone's running a 3e Planescape, Darksun, OA, or Al Qadim game... So, for those lamenting that players are the cause of dead games, I'm waiting...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads