• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Full] Tall's PotA Campiagn

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm flying out for a week's vacation tomorrow. I should be back around June 10/11. I don't know what the wifi/time availability will be, but I will try and get on if I can.

TallIan

Explorer
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] Sorry to hear about your loss. My grandfathers both died a few years (not the same year) ago and I couldn't make either funeral.

TallIan

Explorer
I'm going to be away on vacation for the next 11 days with very limited access to emails. So I guess we'll have to wait until then to see what happens.

TallIan

Explorer
OOC:
I fear we're losing momentum with this game. Personally, I'm not really feeling this encounter, not sure who we're looking for or why, whether it's worth likely encountering resistance if we investigate the larger guarded test, how this ties in to the larger plot with the elemental temples?
[/Color]

I've moved this over here because my reply got a little long.

First off I have to appologise, as I have lost the motivation to drive things forward, which is a bit :):):):):):) of a DM, especially since I am still fairly active on the fora.

I found that the side quests in PotA are somewhat tangential and don't link well to the main plot line, if at all. They are usually just a means of giving out treasure. This particular one I have heavily modified and is essentially two of the published ones combined, the hook is from a side quest that isn't well linked to the main plot but I'd thrown in some stuff that links to the main plot and provides some changes to what happens to you later on. I now think that the slow nature of PbP doesn't lend itself well to side quests.

The other thing I have noticed is that your guys tend to follow whichever clue I hand out at the time, I suspect this is a quirk of PbP as I notice this across all the groups I am in. The sheer amount of real time it takes to have a discussion combined with the fact that people have stuff going on in real life makes it hard to track many clues/hooks and hard to discuss them in the game.

So moving forward I think I will avoid side quests, I had already decided to mostly do away with random encounters, instead trying to fold them into the main encounter by making the main encounter harder (better prepared or more enemies or whatever). I'm also going to try and hand wave the parties good inclined actions (like ensuring the escapees make it to safety) that are not plot essential more if I can.

Just to clarify you are looking for a kidnapped farmer's wife and their two farm hands. I think what I will do is give this encounter a big shove in the right direction and run it quickly to its end to get you guys back on track.

Let me know what you think about these changes and I will try and get the IC moving again - hopefully later today.

Yavathol

Explorer
That sounds good:)
I'm afraid I'm going to be away from Wednesday to Sunday, in rural Wales with neither phone nor internet!! But I'm happy to commit to posting more regularly upon my return:)

Remove ads