• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fractal Mapper vs Autorealm

Loric

First Post
Looking for information on ease of use and preference really. Am in the market for a relatively inexpensive mapping program (am familiar with CC2 but don't have the money for the whole shebang...)

Any reason as to why you like one over the other would be greatly appreciated.

Loric

falunas

First Post
In fact, I can't do what I'm currently doing with autorealm in fractal mapper(or maybe I may have missed something):

Actually I run my campaign with my laptop computer, I'm using it to manage combat, to manage NPC, and PC equippement(to avoid situation like: how much for that necklace I've found two month ago and I don't have yet appraised?). I use it also to represent the tactical situation and to provide map to the players. For that I'm using autorealm. Since I run the scenarii developped by WOTC(from sunless citadell to bastion of the broken souls), I have to reproduce all the map given in these products and for that I need to scan the original map, to import the image file. Then I just have to adjust the scale of the image to the scale of autorealm and to adjust the image position until the grid of the map and the grid of autorealm match. After that I redraw over the image file all the informations I will have to show to the players.

I tried to do the same with fractal mapper. I've seend that there's an option to have an image in the background of any map you wish to create. I tried this solution but since you can't move the image or the grid I can't do what I wanted. The only way I've seen to do what I wanted was to make my image an object I can import in the program but it's still an heavy solution and it's not easy to have what I wanted.

Maybe I'm not doing the right thing with fractal mapper but right now I can't do the same thing as what I do with autorealm(It doesn't mean that fractal mapper don't have anything more than autorealm, some options seems very cool in fractal mapper)

MJEggertson

First Post
FM seems to have alot of features that are pretty advanced. Some kind of scripting language (the Goblin API, I believe its called?) and a few other things. In the end though, I'm not really sure what any of those features can do.

I just use it to make nice maps.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I use Fractal Mapper for all of my maps, and then touch them up a bit in simple graphics programs if they need adjusting after the fact. I like having the "levels" options, which let's me keep some stuff hidden, if necessary, when printing out one version of a map.

Remove ads