• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ettin Thug damage??

If you check out the Ettin Thug in the previewed encounter from Cairn of the Winter King, it's a level 8 brute dealing a measly 1d12+3 damgage. Even if it hits twice it's average damage (19) is less than a level 8 brute's standard (20).

Right below, you have level 4 brutes dealing 2d12+2.

WTF?

If you check out the Ettin Thug in the previewed encounter from Cairn of the Winter King, it's a level 8 brute dealing a measly 1d12+3 damgage. Even if it hits twice it's average damage (19) is less than a level 8 brute's standard (20).

Right below, you have level 4 brutes dealing 2d12+2.

WTF?

I haven't seen the preview (link please) but I wouldn't quibble about 1 damage less than average.

Unless it only gets two attacks rarely, or has to hit the first time to have a chance to hit the second time, or is an elite, etc.

Link is here

Problem is, the Ettin needs two attacks to do less damage than an equal level brute. So, on average much less damage than an equal level brute.

That's pretty pathetic. Plus, it lost its condition-resistance via dual brain.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Problem is, the Ettin needs two attacks to do less damage than an equal level brute. So, on average much less damage than an equal level brute.

It does mean that ettin's DPR is almost equal to average brute. It will not hit with both attacks often. But also it will rarely miss both of those attacks. So it will inflict damage constantly.

In addition to that, It has TWO FULL TURNS per round. That means, in addition to those 2 standard action attacks, it can use 2 move actions and 2 minor actions per round. It can either just move twice or use a move action or two for kicking (push & move). It seems to be a very effective brute.

Mesh Hong

First Post
The Ettin Thug looks fine to me.

It acts twice each round and has a move action controlling attack and a melee attack that deals 1d12+3 damage.

I look at it this way, a standard level 8 brute should be doing (2d8+7)x1.25 damage, = max 28 damage (round down)

The Ettin has (1d12+3)x2 damage, = max 30 damage

It can also use its move action attack to seperate a PC and pound on him, this could be a pretty usefull effect especially if the other creatures in the encounter can hinder the rest of the party from helping the seperated target. There also seems to be some traps that the Ettin could push the target into probably giving them more damage.

The only changes I would consider making to the Ettin would be:-
- to change the damage from 1d12+3 to 2d6+3 just to keep the average up a little.
- to give him threatening reach with its Smash attack when it was bloodied, this would make him more brutal.

- kick someone into portcullis traps and attack?

- 2d6 + 3 would be a quick fix... but i would not consider it necessary...

BTW: What was your intention, complaining at two boards about a nonexistent issue with "WTF" attached?

Mengu

First Post
Typical level 8 brute would have one attack at +13, dealing 20 damage (2d12+7 or so if we wanted to use d12's). Against AC 22, that's around 12.55 DPR.

Two attacks at +13, dealing 9.5 damage (1d12+3) against AC 22 would be around 13.03 DPR.

Strangely enough 1d12+3 is good enough damage, when your brute is swinging twice per round.

However, considering it doesn't have an encounter power that deals more damage, and no damage increase feature when bloodied, I can see a quick tweak to add high crit, dealing 1d12+15 on a critical hit. Another alternative would be to have the kick deal 5 points of damage, which I actually like a little bit better.

It doesn´t really need that, because it is no elite monster...

and two turns for a non elite sounds quite reasonable (the kick could have some damage attached, but given the encounter, it can be used to make 3d6+5 damage attacks (push int the traps...)

I just thing adding WTF to a question is the best Idea if you like input... it sounds more like a rant...

So next time, please post your question without WTF attached... on RPG.net the first answer was just responding to the rant instead of giving a serious answer to the question you had.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads