• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Emoji for a post that I PARTIALLY agree with.

Often enough, someone writes an excellent post. It brings up a number of good points, but a couple of points I disagree with.

I want to say that I "like" the post. But I dont want to convey that I like all of it. There might be a part I strongly disagree with.

I want an emoji, to recognize that there are parts that I like alot.

What would such an emoji look like? Maybe half a hand with a thumbs up and half a hand with a thumbs down? Maybe half a smiling comedy mask and half a frowning tragedy mask? Maybe someone has a better idea for such an emoji?

Is it doable for the code to add a new emoji icon to the forum emoji options?

aco175

Legend
Half a middle finger, only partially up

I find it not too hard to tap like if I find something about a post good or if it was something I may have said and do not post "What he said". I also tend to tap it if someone responds to a post of mine with construction or criticism that I can see his point for, even if I do not agree with it. I find it a social way to say "Thanks for thinking about what I said and making a worthy comment".

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The one I keep hoping for is a <facepalm> reaction emoji, for use a) as a groan when someone posts a truly awful joke or quip for which <laugh> would be far too high praise, or b) when someone completely misses an obvious joke, or less often c) when someone clearly misses someone else's point by more than a couple of battleship lengths.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The one I keep hoping for is a <facepalm> reaction emoji, for use a) as a groan when someone posts a truly awful joke or quip for which <laugh> would be far too high praise, or b) when someone completely misses an obvious joke, or less often c) when someone clearly misses someone else's point by more than a couple of battleship lengths.
Though I like the concept, it does seem like most people would be using it for option C most of the time. I don't think that emoji would help much. (I do want more emojis for replies, though.)

In the OP case, I would post a like, and then reply with details. It seems like we should be encouraging 'good' posts, even ones with parts that we don't agree with. Hence we value good discussion, not just folks who echo our own thoughts.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In the OP case, I would post a like, and then reply with details. It seems like we should be encouraging 'good' posts, even ones with parts that we don't agree with. Hence we value good discussion, not just folks who echo our own thoughts.
This points out a problem I find with the "thumbs-up" like - I often want to give one for a good and-or thoughtful post even if I don't agree with it, while other times I want to give it simply as shorthand to say 'I agree' (or, 'thanks for doing the typing for me'). But to me giving a thumbs-up like always implies agreement.

Would it be possible to leave the thumbs-up as an 'I agree' like and have another emoji to acknowledge the thought process regardless of stance?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads