• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D Edition Experience: Did/Do You Play OD&D? How Was/Is It?

How Did/Do You Feel About OD&D

• I'm playing it right now; I'll have to let you know later.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing it right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Stormonu

Legend
OD&D is the one edition of D&D I have nothing for, and know relatively little about. I did get to play in a game DMed by someone else, who ran one of the old Judge’s Guild modules - I think it was Caverns of Thracia. I was playing a fighter with a 6 Int, who had a ring of three wishes. I remember using one of the wishes to “get rid of all the bats”, but not much else about the game.

Can’t say this is an edition that piques my interest to ever try again, though. Not bad, just no interest.

Never played, because, as someone who is only 40yo, I didn't start gaming until the '90s.

But I have a collector's edition WotC put out a few years back and it might be fun to give it a try...

Nytmare

David Jose
Though I remember those days fondly, and though I wouldn't say no to a one shot OD&D romp, there are a world of things I would rather play instead.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
On April 24th, I compiled the survey results and posted them in this thread. Not just the survey results; I also collected and analyzed (to the best of my ability) the comments and "nuance" I requested in the comment section as well. I have linked that survey to the OP in this thread, and in all of the other edition surveys as well.

But discussion continues, and votes are still coming in. I'm continue to collect and update the survey info, and I will be updating the summary soon. Thanks everyone for your (continued) participation! This has been a fun and enlightening exercise in the history of our hobby.

CleverNickName

Hey would you look at that! Not one, but two people have indicated that they are currently playing OD&D.

I'd love to hear how it compares to 5E, from an outsider's point of view. I haven't had a chance to get an OD&D group together yet, what with social distancing and all.

Sithlord

Adventurer
The earliest I played was B/X and RC. Unread the rules of the earlier books and never saw the point of playing them. I firmly believe that RC is the pinnacle of role playing. Although I love many rpg’s, especially coc 7E and Elric!

CleverNickName

The earliest I played was B/X and RC. Unread the rules of the earlier books and never saw the point of playing them. I firmly believe that RC is the pinnacle of role playing. Although I love many rpg’s, especially coc 7E and Elric!
Fair enough. The Rules Cyclopedia poll is over here, if you're interested.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I saw of copy of OD&D in 1982 but we were already playing B/X. I recently read the three booklets to learn what the original game was. I have no interest to play that version of D&D.

Remove ads