• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragons no longer a threat?

Dungannon

First Post
I will admit up front that I'm not very familiar with a lot of the 3e products, especially modules, but it seems to me that dragons are not a featured challenge for PCs anymore, and haven't been for a long time. Am I wrong about this?

I would like to hear from the DMs out there as to whether or not they use dragons as primary baddies in their campaigns and why or why not. Are there any special tricks you use to make them more interesting or challenging for the PCs?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I wouldn't say UNDER utilized. A properly played Dragon can, in fact, make for quite a challenge. There are plenty of books out there, that can easily make any dragon, with some slight modifications a memorable challenge.

That said, I prefer to save such things for later.

Dungannon

First Post
Nightfall said:
A properly played Dragon can, in fact, make for quite a challenge. There are plenty of books out there, that can easily make any dragon, with some slight modifications a memorable challenge.
I agree with you, Nightfall, a properly played dragon can be the most fearsome challenge a party of adventures ever faces. I am just wondering why some DMs don't use them, and the reasons why they don't. And what the DMs that do use them do to make the confrontation "memorable & unique".

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Reason I don't use "true" dragons (by that I mean chromatic and other dragons, not drakes or ones with just the type Dragon attatched to them), primarily because I run a Scarred Lands campaign and thus true dragons are rare. (At least in my version.) :)

Mercule

Adventurer
I use them, just very, very rarely.

Why? Because dragons are very, very rare.

Aside from the ecological issues of having something like that around, they tend to be targets for potent humanoids or figure into the political structure uniquely.

On the other hand, D'Theklgar, a desert in my homebrew is just crawling with them. But nobody goes there except the hobgoblins.

Dr. NRG

First Post
SPOILER WARNING RTTTOEE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one of the best-selling adventures of recent years have not one, but three dragons in it?

NRG

Last edited:

Kilmore

First Post
I rarely use dragons because whenever my party hears the "D" word, they cut and run. :D

That said, they did run into a cop dragon in my main city... Not copper, cop... as in detective. I named him "Monte".

Remove ads