• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DragonLance setting well after the War of the Souls, any thoughts?

georbit

First Post
I was looking through the 5th edition PHB and the DMG at their descriptions of the DragonLance setting. I initially was a bit confused that they incorporated a live and kicking Takhisis and had Paladine as still a god. It has been pointed out to me that the setting that the PHB and DMG describe for DragonLance is still during the War of the Lance, so both gods still being around makes sense.

However, I kind of like the idea that something happened after the War of the Souls and with Mina, something that brought back both gods. I had thought that perhaps something along the lines of what happened in Forgotten Realms in the transition from 3.5 to 4e where there was the sundering and everything took a 200 year leap forward might work.

So here are my initial thoughts and possibilities:
1) Mina wanted to be back at the bottom of the ocean and no longer a god, her personality splits into a good and evil god based upon her experiences and origin, and these two gods take on the roles of Paladine and Takhisis. As new gods they have to prove themselves to the others, giving motivations for some of the conflict in the world.

2) Gods can't truly die, so when the mortal form of Paladine gets killed he ascends and then so does the body of Takhisis as well. They are changed by their experiences and act accordingly. The current strife in the world is Takhisis fighting against all the other Evil gods, and Paladine is not trusted by the other good gods, with the neutral gods staying out of the way.

So with option 1) this could happen almost immediately after Mina ascends and takes her rightful godhood. With option 2) this could happen centuries later as Paladine became a mortal elf that lives a really long time. For either one I think my goal is that there is some amount of time for the world to become more wild, more dangerous, for the elves, the kender, the tinker gnomes, to all change due to their circumstances that occurred before and during the War of the Souls.

I would like some other input or other possibilities that might work for the stated goals of points of light in DragonLance, with enough time to elapse to change even elven society, and with Paladine and Takhisis back as gods. Thanks!

Remove ads