• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonchess

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Holy crap, I had no idea this was a real thing, and invented by Gygax: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonchess

That's an excellent Easter egg. I knew about the Three-Dragon Ante because it's from just a couple of years ago but I guess I always assumed that "dragonchess" was just a fun way of spicing up chess for a fantasy world.

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, it's a great game. Back in the 80s, one of my buddies and I made a series of boards and pieces and played it a fair amount. It's far more complex than standard chess, and we only just got started with figuring out strategies and whatnot, but it was really fun and I wish I still had the stuff we made- I'd play it now and again if I did.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Yep it was a thing. I photocpied the rules for dragonchess from Dragon and actually built the 3D chess board out of plexiglass. My chess pieces were made of scrap card stock. It all looked great at the time, alas I never played it with anyone. Here's the kicker: I still have it all in storage! I guess I have to dig it up and see what minis I can use for pieces - I certainly collected piles of them, lol!

BTW Thanks 77IM for finding the wiki article! If I can find the set I made I'll post a few pics of it here :)

Last edited:

Remove ads