• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Draconic Auras & PrCs

Hi folks,

Has anyone found a rule in the PHBII or Dragon Magic that explicitly says that two classes that provide Draconic Auras do/don't add the aura strength ratings together? I'm specifically thinking of the Dragon Shaman (PHBII) and the Dragon Lord (DM). If they do add then someone with 10 levels in Dragon Shaman and 10 levels in Dragon Lord will end up with a +6 aura rating by 20th level.

As the DM I'd rather tap the EnWorld groupmind to confirm the (non)existence of RAW before I house rule.

Neorealist

First Post
Not sure wether or not this is explicit enough for you: The dragon lord class states specifically that the bonus increases granted by taking levels in it apply only to auras chosen as part of the features of the class itself, no mention is made of auras obtained from other sources.

On the other hand, the draconic aura feature of the dragon shaman mentions the bonuses apply to your known auras, with no mention of where you got them from.

So i'd have to say that no, dragon lord aura bonuses don't stack with dragon shaman aura bonuses, if only because of the wording of the dragon lord class.

(upon further review, the dragon shaman class feature mentions that the auras are granted as part of the class features of the dragon shaman as well, not mentioning any other source where you might obtain them, let alone stating that the bonuses might apply to other auras. Dragon magic does expicitly state that an aura cannot be taken more than once, so i suppose since each classes bonuses only explicitly apply to auras granted by that class that there is no way to double-dip your bonuses. This is a rather convoluted way of banning things though; it's entirely reasonable that any given dm can decide differently.)

So in that light you may want to recommend to the aspiring dragon shaman/dragon lord that s/he should purchase dragon magic, since i believe the shaman automatically gets all the auras mentioned in the phb II eventually?

Last edited:

Remove ads