• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dollhouse #5: True Believer/Season 1/2009

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
eliza_dushku_dollhouse_fox.jpg

True Believer

Writers:Tim Minear

Director:Allan Kroeker

Stars:Eliza Dushku (Echo)
Tahmoh Penikett (Paul Ballard)
Olivia Williams (Adelle DeWitt)
Fran Kranz (Topher Brink)
Harry J. Lennix (Boyd Langton)
Enver Gjokaj (Lubov)
Dichen Lachman (Sierra)

Recurring Role:Reed Diamond (Laurence Dominic)
Amy Acker (Dr. Claire Saunders)

Guest Star:Miracle Laurie (Mellie)
Brian Bloom (Jonas Sparrow)
Aisha Hinds (Loomis)
Rebecca Field (Kris)
Angus Sutherland (Lilya)
Mark Totty (Agent Lilly)
Sam Hennings (Senator Boxbaum)
Brad Hunt (Jesse Dillard)
David Alpay (Seth)

Echo becomes a blind womastaffn so she can infiltrate a very secretive and well-guarded cult.

TwistedBishop

First Post
The main storyline was pretty crap. Dushku plays the world's least convincing blind person.

Definitely enjoyed the supporting cast, though. Acker and Penikett can always be counted on. Not so sure about the actor playing Topher. His dialogue and mannerisms seem more like an imitation of the Whedonverse than something genuine.

Also, I'm right there with Victor. Initially I found the actress playing Sierra quite bizarre, but after seeing her in action she's as cute as a button.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Dushku plays the world's least convincing blind person.

While I generally enjoyed the episode, and saw it as a step above some of the previous outings, this points to the key problem with the whole show: it depends on Dushku being able to sell these radically different characters, as though they were different people. But she just plan doesn't have the acting chops to pull it off. It always winds up being: Dusku pretending to be blind, or a mid-wife, or a hostage negotiator. It reminds me of what a friend once said to me in college about Kevin Costner: All of his movies should just be called the same thing, "The Adventures of Kevin Costner."

Dushku wanted this, but she can't sell it. If she really wants to do this kind of thing, she needs to spend some serious time working on her craft. When she's got Merril Streep acting chops, maybe she can pull of a show like this. Until then, I tolerate it in the hopes of a good payoff, despite Dushku's lack of talent.

TwistedBishop

First Post
Edit: Somehow this double posted 20 minutes after my previous post when I wasn't even online. The internet is a mysterious flower.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
The main storyline was pretty crap. Dushku plays the world's least convincing blind person.

While she did not do a good job on the role it was far from world's worst. Hollywood has rarely portrayed blind people well. Her role was good enough and that's all that matters.

TwistedBishop

First Post
While she did not do a good job on the role it was far from world's worst.

More than once she tracked motion with her eyes. I can't think of any worse way to invalidate such a performance.

Perhaps it's just a nitpick. She screwed up one episode, so what? But I'm feeling this is only the beginning. The whole direction and momentum of the series feels troubled anyway. If the leading lady can't sell the fundamental premise we've got nothing left.

Farganger

First Post
While she did not do a good job on the role it was far from world's worst.

This is an interesting debate. I'm going to split the difference and say that while her performance gamely vied for "the world's worst", it did indeed fall short in some respects.

For me, the show continues to disappoint, but there's only so vitriolic I can be, without sounding a bit of a fool. After all, I'm still watching.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
More than once she tracked motion with her eyes. I can't think of any worse way to invalidate such a performance.

Actually, I'd disagree with that assessment, personally. IME and to my knowledge, total blindness is a rarity among visually impaired people. Most blind people can still discern some degree of light, and thus motion tracking wouldn't be all that rare. That's one of my main issues with how blindness is portrayed by actors- that they go for the "total blindness" angle, and stare off into space as if that's the only way they can possibly convey how the visually impaired act. I guess it's just easier shorthand than actually doing some research into things.

In any event, this episode was just... okay, like most of the others. I'm far from blown away by Dollhouse thus far. I'm sticking with it mainly because there's nothing else to watch, really, and I'm hopeful that it will pick up. There are a couple of decent characters that are being wasted (Sierra, for one; Dichen Lachman has been great whenever they give her more than two seconds of air time).

The FBI agent plot is just plodding- let's drop a hint here or there, but immediately pull the football out before he kicks it. Hee, hee. (That just gets old, real quick). I'm curious though- I think we were told that Alpha was a male, but has it been explicitly stated that was the case? Because FBI Agent's neighbor has "Dollhouse" written all over her.

I'm also tired of Olivia Williams' constant monologues. Her character is so over the top loquacious that I wouldn't be surprised to see her turn out to be an imprint too.

Remove ads