• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers Doctor Who 2024 (spoilers)

Dire Bare

Legend
Note, I didn't say, "I don't think this is good Doctor Who" (also note, he's not actually a Doctor. Dr. Who is wrong.). I specifically used the word "bitches" which is a tad stronger than "oh, I don't think this is good". To be fair though, I was typing quickly and didn't expand on my point. I thought it would have been clear in context, but, sorry, guess not.

Again, not what I said.

But, to absolutely clarify, because, apparently, not being 100% perfectly clear means that I'm being "dismissive" and will have people interpret what I'm saying in the least charitable ways, let me be 100% crystal clear:

If you are criticizing Doctor Who because you feel it's being "too woke" and that it's "abandoned fans" in favor of social agendas, I don't want you in my fandom. You (the person who is claiming that Doctor Who is pandering to the woke crowd) are everything wrong with fandom. You are no longer welcome. Doctor Who has ALWAYS been progressive. It has ALWAYS taken a stand against any sort of bigotry or racism. It has ALWAYS been "woke". To all those so called fans who endlessly bitched about Doctor Who being played by a woman, a person of color, a gay man, or whatever? Go away. You aren't welcome in the fandom anymore. You're going to stop watching Doctor Who because it's taking a stand? Good. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.​

Now, is that clear enough about who I'm referring to and what I'm talking about? Does it need further clarification?
Dude. Just relax and admit your initial post was unclear and too strong.

And you're gonna nerdsplain to me that the Doctor isn't really a Doctor, and his name isn't "Doctor Who" but just the "Doctor"? Any more semantic battles or nitpicks you want to drop?

Don't let your anger and irritation over the intolerant "anti-woke" crowd poison the discussion here. Nobody in this thread is repeating that "go woke, go broke" nonsense.

A more calm post expressing your irritation probably would have gotten most, if not all, in this thread to give you the thumb's up.

Hussar

Legend
Dude. Just relax and admit your initial post was unclear and too strong.

And you're gonna nerdsplain to me that the Doctor isn't really a Doctor, and his name isn't "Doctor Who" but just the "Doctor"? Any more semantic battles or nitpicks you want to drop?

Don't let your anger and irritation over the intolerant "anti-woke" crowd poison the discussion here. Nobody in this thread is repeating that "go woke, go broke" nonsense.

A more calm post expressing your irritation probably would have gotten most, if not all, in this thread to give you the thumb's up.
I'm ever so sorry for not taking more care in expressing my feelings in a way that you would find more acceptable. I'll ensure to police my own tone more carefully in the future.

MarkB

Legend
Again, not what I said.
What you initially said was that anyone complaining that this is bad Doctor Who needs to shut up. No qualifications, no reasons, no exceptions, just a blanket "shut up".
I'm ever so sorry for not taking more care in expressing my feelings in a way that you would find more acceptable. I'll ensure to police my own tone more carefully in the future.
Now try it without the sarcasm.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Disney company bought the international distribution rights for Doctor Who from the BBC, its still being produced and owned by the BBC but with Disney money
I’m pretty sure they’ve just licensed the rights, not bought them. It’s pretty standard practice, just a bigger deal than normal as usually broadcasters in each territory negotiate separately whereas Disney covers all the international territories.

The interesting question is—how long is this deal for? Presumably it will have an expiration/renewal date. And what happens if/when it doesn’t get renewed?

Hussar

Legend
What you initially said was that anyone complaining that this is bad Doctor Who needs to shut up. No qualifications, no reasons, no exceptions, just a blanket "shut up".

Now try it without the sarcasm.
No, I said that anyone who "bitches". I did forget to add "endlessly" to that. I didn't say "complain". Do you feel that you are bitching about Doctor Who? No? Then I wasn't addressing you.

But, sure, I'll make sure to police my tone next time. Thank you ever so much for helping me to ensure that my tone is perfectly correct in the future.

FFS, ten thousand articles talking about how Doctor Who is being ruined by wokeness and whatnot, but, apparently, I have to be very careful about how I talk. I'm just so tired of how every fandom turns so toxic the second that anything approaching civil rights issues gets brought up. Hermione played by a black actress?!?!?! Heresy!! Hobbits being played by people who aren't white?!Q?!? Absolutely not!!! Doctor Who being inclusive? Oh, they have ruined Doctor Who forever!!)!!

Boom was about as classic Doctor Who as it gets. Fantastic story line. Excellent use of tropes. Solid message. And I absolutely love the bit at the end where the Anglican soldier asks the Doctor if he hates faith. His answer is just pitch perfect ((I forget the exact wording)) - "I don't like faith, but, I need it." Just such a great line.

But, sure, take me to task for telling people who are bitching to shut up.

🤷

No, I said that anyone who "bitches". I did forget to add "endlessly" to that. I didn't say "complain". Do you feel that you are bitching about Doctor Who? No? Then I wasn't addressing you.

But, sure, I'll make sure to police my tone next time. Thank you ever so much for helping me to ensure that my tone is perfectly correct in the future.

FFS, ten thousand articles talking about how Doctor Who is being ruined by wokeness and whatnot, but, apparently, I have to be very careful about how I talk. I'm just so tired of how every fandom turns so toxic the second that anything approaching civil rights issues gets brought up. Hermione played by a black actress?!?!?! Heresy!! Hobbits being played by people who aren't white?!Q?!? Absolutely not!!! Doctor Who being inclusive? Oh, they have ruined Doctor Who forever!!)!!

Boom was about as classic Doctor Who as it gets. Fantastic story line. Excellent use of tropes. Solid message. And I absolutely love the bit at the end where the Anglican soldier asks the Doctor if he hates faith. His answer is just pitch perfect ((I forget the exact wording)) - "I don't like faith, but, I need it." Just such a great line.

But, sure, take me to task for telling people who are bitching to shut up.

🤷
Is anyone HERE saying anything along those lines? All I see are people saying they don't like it because of how silly it has gotten.

Ryujin

Legend
I’m pretty sure they’ve just licensed the rights, not bought them. It’s pretty standard practice, just a bigger deal than normal as usually broadcasters in each territory negotiate separately whereas Disney covers all the international territories.

The interesting question is—how long is this deal for? Presumably it will have an expiration/renewal date. And what happens if/when it doesn’t get renewed?
It would seem that they've also secured the rights in Canada, not just the United States, because the cable channel that usually carries it here, isn't.

Hussar

Legend
Is anyone HERE saying anything along those lines? All I see are people saying they don't like it because of how silly it has gotten.
Yes, I know. That would be the point. I was NOT directly addressing anyone in this thread. I made the mistake of voicing an emotional response, and people seemed to think it was directed at them. Even after I clarified that it wasn't directed at them, they continued to complain that I should be "nicer" in my emotional response.

I was very jazzed after watching Boom. I didn't have a huge amount of time, and just posted an off the cuff, emotional response. People seemed to think it was directed at them. That's their problem, not mine. I'm tired of being told that I have to be oh so polite to everyone. I'm sick tired to death of watching toxic fans -none of which are present here - constantly piss in the pool.

I'm sorry if people thought that I was addressing specific people in this thread. Hell, I'm not even sure I actually read the thread before I posted. If I was going to specifically address anyone in this thread, I would have done so.

My fault, I suppose. Like I said, I'll make sure and police my tone better in the future so as to not cause any distress.

Remove ads