• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD 5e home brew class: The Constructor

What do you think of the class concept and abilities?

• It is fine as is

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Could use some work

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • It is ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs more abilities( explain in comments)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Has too much

Votes: 0 0.0%

Clint_L

Legend
My spouse has been playing a battle smith for a few years, and we have home-brewed various enhancements to their steel defender, which is her toy-maker's cart that can transform into a janky robot. Their character rides the cart, which can jump and even fly, now that they have the fly spell. It shoots grease via the level 1 spell, and so on. It's become a pretty versatile de facto golem, all while working basically within the existing rules.

I love the idea of adding infusions that specifically apply to the defender/golem. Balance can become an issue, though, since the battle smith is by themselves a pretty capable character, especially in my campaign where those with the technological know-how have access to firearms.

Jaiken

Explorer
My spouse has been playing a battle smith for a few years, and we have home-brewed various enhancements to their steel defender, which is her toy-maker's cart that can transform into a janky robot. Their character rides the cart, which can jump and even fly, now that they have the fly spell. It shoots grease via the level 1 spell, and so on. It's become a pretty versatile de facto golem, all while working basically within the existing rules.

I love the idea of adding infusions that specifically apply to the defender/golem. Balance can become an issue, though, since the battle smith is by themselves a pretty capable character, especially in my campaign where those with the technological know-how have access to firearms.
That is another reason why I don’t want to add Artificer infusions. Not only does it get rid of the Constructor class by itself, but it could potentially make it too powerful.

mellored

Legend
That is another reason why I don’t want to add Artificer infusions. Not only does it get rid of the Constructor class by itself, but it could potentially make it too powerful.
Artificer can put Infusions on a fighter.

So as long as the Golem isn't better than a fighter, Infusions on a Golem won't be better either.

This class is like a construct-monster trainer, isn't it? The urban druid from a Dragon magazine had got a little list about repairing spells, like healing but for constructs.

Now I am thinking about something like the incarnum magic. The constructor could lock "points of essence" within chakras "body slots for magic items) for upgrades, something like time-limited metamagic feats.

Jaiken

Explorer
I have made some updates to the class. Please take a look.
Updated: The Constructor is now able to create Obelisks that help them in battle.
Edit: The PC is now able to ride inside the Golem.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I would have to agree with the bandwagon here and say that this belongs as a subclass of Artificer,
Classes are just to similar to justify existence of both.

and this is a good idea and can be made differently than Battlesmith subclass.

Jaiken

Explorer
I would have to agree with the bandwagon here and say that this belongs as a subclass of Artificer,
Classes are just to similar to justify existence of both.

and this is a good idea and can be made differently than Battlesmith subclass.
I will make a subclass of Artificer called the Constructor where you can put infusions inside your Golems.

Last edited:

Remove ads