• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD 5e home brew class: The Constructor

What do you think of the class concept and abilities?

• It is fine as is

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Could use some work

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • It is ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs more abilities( explain in comments)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Has too much

Votes: 0 0.0%

Jaiken

Explorer
Hello. First post here and was wondering if anybody would be interested giving feedback and maybe playtesting my home brew class the Constructor.
Edit: I am in the process of play testing the class as of now.

The Constructor is an Intelligence magic half caster that can create a weaker than average Golem to help in combat.

Here is a link to the class: Constructor Class by CaliusShontor

ezo

I cast invisibility
Welcome to the forum!

I like the concept, but I think it would work better as either a Wizard or Artificer subclass than its own class. After all, right now it has no subclasses, so you would need to add that and I don't know if there is enough to create 4-5 subclasses.

Jaiken

Explorer
Welcome to the forum!

I like the concept, but I think it would work better as either a Wizard or Artificer subclass than its own class. After all, right now it has no subclasses, so you would need to add that and I don't know if there is enough to create 4-5 subclasses.
Right now the Golem type is the subclass since the Golems have different resistances and vulnerabilities.

It's not overpowered or anything. In fact, I think it is very, very underpowered. It's missing a bunch of story elements as well, and the class doesn't really do a good job of accomplishing its power fantasy due to it using the safest methods for features (just choose feats and spells, nothing new, nothing that speaks to the Golem builder archetype).

I think it would be interesting to see you take another shot at this idea with a more bold design attitude.

Jaiken

Explorer
It's not overpowered or anything. In fact, I think it is very, very underpowered. It's missing a bunch of story elements as well, and the class doesn't really do a good job of accomplishing its power fantasy due to it using the safest methods for features (just choose feats and spells, nothing new, nothing that speaks to the Golem builder archetype).

I think it would be interesting to see you take another shot at this idea with a more bold design attitude.
Do you think adding Golem abilities such as invocations would benefit the class?

Do you think adding Golem abilities such as invocations would benefit the class?
100% they would. Abilities as well as interesting passives that could benefit the golem creator or the party. For example, learning how to create Iron Golems at a high level could allow the Constructor to enhance the AC of the party by applying that same arcane technology on their armor. A flesh golem's lightning could be harnessed in such a way so as to be bottled and passed around the party as a type of arcane grenade. These kinds of creative expressions of the archetype are what I'm looking for when I read any homebrew class.

And more traditional abilities, like letting your golems fly, or giving them unique powers, are a must. In this class, the golem is the expression of the player's imagination and creativity; by giving me more tools to express that mechanically, you open up the class to popularity and unique spins.

Sorry, when I think in a D&D constructor class my mind imagines something like Orcs must die or Fortnite: Save the World (the original game before the battle royal to become so popular), but now this class would be too focuse into defense and not to attack into enemy territory.

There was a prestige class about creation of constructs, the effigy master.

1716130761384.png

Jaiken

Explorer
100% they would. Abilities as well as interesting passives that could benefit the golem creator or the party. For example, learning how to create Iron Golems at a high level could allow the Constructor to enhance the AC of the party by applying that same arcane technology on their armor. A flesh golem's lightning could be harnessed in such a way so as to be bottled and passed around the party as a type of arcane grenade. These kinds of creative expressions of the archetype are what I'm looking for when I read any homebrew class.

And more traditional abilities, like letting your golems fly, or giving them unique powers, are a must. In this class, the golem is the expression of the player's imagination and creativity; by giving me more tools to express that mechanically, you open up the class to popularity and unique spins.
Golem invocations were planned but I thought they added too much initially. Now I see they help tremendously. Thanks for the feedback.

Jaiken

Explorer
I agree that this looks like an Artificer subclass. Not enough by itself.

Let the Artificer Infusions apply to the Golem. Possibly getting a bonus Infusion that can only apply to the Golem.
Artificer subclass makes sense but I am trying to build this as a different class. Maybe adding Golem invocations would help set it apart.

Remove ads