• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DMs Guild and DriveThruRPG ban AI written works, requires labels for AI generated art

Stormonu

Legend
Yergh. Been working all last year on a monster manual and been using AI art to replace my feeble attempts at pictures. Got around 425 monsters in it, and the last time I did this back in 3.5 it cost me well over $1K for artwork (with me doing almost half the art myself to boot). Considering how little I made on that book, banning AI art would make my life extremely difficult to get this out at a reasonable price.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I understand the ethical issues involved in using AI art that was trained on scraped images without permission, but I also understand the value of being able to create the images you want for your project. Blocking all AI art has the effect of increasing the barrier to entry for people who can't afford to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to commission professional custom art.
Yes.
I understand the ethical issues involved in using AI art that was trained on scraped images without permission, but I also understand the value of being able to create the images you want for your project. Blocking all AI art has the effect of increasing the barrier to entry for people who can't afford to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to commission professional custom art.
It blocks them from having AI art, yes. It doesn’t block them from writing, from publishing art-free work, or from using stock art.

If your argument is that they can’t sell products without art….then yes, art has value, and people should be paid for it.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Yes.

It blocks them from having AI art, yes. It doesn’t block them from writing, from publishing art-free work, or from using stock art.

If your argument is that they can’t sell products without art….then yes, art has value, and people should be paid for it.
I agree. I did not say art should be free. I said AI generated art has value, too. And I said it is unethical to generate that art based on theft.

As a freelance writer I am just as likely to be replaced as an artist. There are already services you can pay for that will write D&D adventures for you with a few prompts using LLM technology.

This stuff is not going away and it is going to be highly disruptive. So was the camera.

When AI-image sellers popped up on GameDevMarket, they started spamming the site with "new products", which made legitimate artist works much harder to search for. It got so bad that the site had to lock down against any new AI-image products on the site, which even then feels like a half measure since the site already got flooded.

Given the unstable legality of using AI images for any product in the first place, any site that has customers from across the world will probably ban standalone AI image products on their site for the foreseeable future. AI text as well.

Based on how some sites seem to be approaching the issue, there may be a slight future possibility of a soft shadow ban on DMsGuild projects that just partially use AI images, since terms of use on an AI generator is not the same thing as having the rights by law to an image, or even part of an image - I get the feeling that somebody might see a trademarked logo or something similar on somebody's AI-generated cover, or somebody might start copying AI-generated covers, and that might lead to a tense discussion among the site admins.

Last edited:

Remove ads