• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did you notice this?

Dalamar

Adventurer
Indeed, as a 2nd-level bard your biggest problem will be picking just three (you get two, plus one for the high Charisma that I'm going to assume that you have).
This is from the bard article at Wizards.com Link

The question is, did the author mix in a house rule or is this a sneak peek at 3.5? Or maybe the auther just hasn't read the class description of bard very closely.

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Yeah I had, but I had assumed it was an error as the whole tone of the article struck me as rather amatuerish.

Gez

First Post
No, it's still here:

Second Bard Level (1st-Level Spells): A 2nd-level bard picks up 1st-level bard spells, and you'll find that there are a ton of good ones. Charm person, expeditious retreat, feather fall, mage armor, message, and sleep are all great spells with a load of uses. Indeed, as a 2nd-level bard your biggest problem will be picking just three (you get two, plus one for the high Charisma that I'm going to assume that you have). I like charm person, expeditious retreat, and mage armor as my selection, but not having feather fall when you need it is always frustrating (and usually damaging). Also, sleep, depending on what kind of campaign you're in, can be devastating and rather hard to pass up. Beyond these spells I have found a few that are almost as useful and worth picking up later as you gain more spells. Alarm is great, but at second level its duration of 2 hours per caster level means it won't last a full night. So, you may want to put this one off for a few levels. Cure light wounds is also useful, but hopefully you have a cleric somewhere nearby doing the healing for you. The party relying on a bard for healing may not be doomed, but they're not in particularly good shape either.

everchanging02

First Post
Ah. Thank you, Gez.
I seem to have missed it in my glance-over and my web browser seems to not have the correct functionality for the Find tool... -.-

--Edit--
Adding more point to this post:
I think the author probably just misread/misunderstood the idea of the bonus spell. That, or he slipped up, making a mistake and not noticing it (I know that can happen at times).
OTOH, --cut-- N/m.

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
Well, what can you say on an article that doesn't even address healing spells for bards?
Our bard saved more than one life with his.

Berandor

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
It struck me as a bit funny that haste was recommended so highly by the author, clearly using the current rules.

It all seems a bit silly trying to pump the bard given the changes coming soon.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Berandor said:
Well, what can you say on an article that doesn't even address healing spells for bards?
Our bard saved more than one life with his.

Actually, I think he does mention cure light wounds in a throwaway line somewhere in the paragraph on 1st level spells — something to the effect of "it's nice, but if you're relying on your bard for healing..." Anyhow, I agree with your point. It's been my experience, too, with the bard I'm playing in my RL game.

Best,
tKL

Remove ads