• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Detail Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's all good, just note that you spent them on your sheet and in the tracking thread (where you should be tracking your credits)

Wik

First Post
Hey guys. I've sent in a character for approval, Jezira, about a week ago, and no response. Just figured I'd mention it, and all that jazz.

In other news, got a question: better dragonmark for a rogue: Mark of Finding (+2 Search, Identify 1/day) or Mark of Passage (+2 Survival, Dimension Leap)? My Human Spellthief is gonna hit 3rd soon, and I was thinking it'd be cool if he manifested a dragonmark.

Patlin

Explorer
Wik said:
In other news, got a question: better dragonmark for a rogue: Mark of Finding (+2 Search, Identify 1/day) or Mark of Passage (+2 Survival, Dimension Leap)? My Human Spellthief is gonna hit 3rd soon, and I was thinking it'd be cool if he manifested a dragonmark.

I think free identifies give RA an involuntary twitch, so I'd recomend that one. :D

(It's been a while since I looked at the mark of finding, so if the rules don't fit my joke I apologize.)

Wik

First Post
Actually, that was kind of what I was thinking, too. ;)

I could even set up an identify service, charging 25-50 GP to identify items. Could be a lucrative side-project...

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
I think free identifies give RA an involuntary twitch, so I'd recomend that one. :D

(It's been a while since I looked at the mark of finding, so if the rules don't fit my joke I apologize.)
I actually don't mind that 1/day from a True Dragonmark Heir in an Eberron campaign because I know enough about the oppressive monopolistic way of the Houses in Eberron to know that the House would definitely definitely definitely have a collusion-based standardised price system worked out with a fixed price and a majority cut taken by the House, and they would silently but brutally murder anyone with a rebellious streak who tries to

set up an identify service, charging 25-50 GP to identify items. Could be a lucrative side-project...

See--that's exactly what I don't want. Something that breaks verisimilitude for the economy in a Living World. But since it's Eberron and a True Dragonmark House, we can extrapolate what the House would do and keep verisimilitude. Yay!

The alternative is something like the 'Trader bug' in LEW--you either need to ignore that they exist except for Rinaldo (that's what we do, actually), or you have to give everyone in the world a discount on everything assuming that they use a Trader. And if you ignore them and don't add a universal discount, then Rinaldo should be getting all the business in the entire city (and will be from adventurers soon!).

Wik

First Post
Remind me not to have you as a GM, Rystil. Because when Brelach abuses his dragonmark (and you know he will), you'd have him be hounded by House Tharask. And that's not going to be fun.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
Remind me not to have you as a GM, Rystil. Because when Brelach abuses his dragonmark (and you know he will), you'd have him be hounded by House Tharask. And that's not going to be fun.
If he does it so no one ever knows, then I'm sure he should be fine ;) But I would consider it to be poor GMing (based on what I know of Eberron from the books about the Dragonmarked houses) for a Dragonmarked character to openly run a for-pay service independent of the House's own without getting in big trouble (same as for a House Jorasco scion who opens a competing healing house, etc). Bad in such a way that I would consider it to be not just the GM's job but the job of the Adventure's Judge to make sure it doesn't happen that way (in the same way that an Adventure Judge keeps other Eberron setting tropes safe--for instance, the Judge would stop the GM who tried to reveal in the adventure that Vol is in fact not a half-dragon lich, but a fairy unicorn princess)

Patlin

Explorer
It may be of some comfort to recall that by the same logic, no one could make a living selling drugs because the cops would never stand for it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
It may be of some comfort to recall that by the same logic, no one could make a living selling drugs because the cops would never stand for it.
There's a lot of big differences--anyone in the real world who can get the drugs can sell drugs, and the illicit nature raises prices, plus no Divinations in our world. In Eberron, the number of those with True Dragonmarks is low, and the Houses pretty much know who all of them are--plus, we're talking about openly undercutting. Doing a few for your buddies surreptitiously (within an adventure)? Sure. Opening up a storefront thread and making thousands of gold identifying infinite items out of adventure? That shouldn't fly.

Solange

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
There's a lot of big differences--anyone in the real world who can get the drugs can sell drugs, and the illicit nature raises prices, plus no Divinations in our world. In Eberron, the number of those with True Dragonmarks is low, and the Houses pretty much know who all of them are--plus, we're talking about openly undercutting. Doing a few for your buddies surreptitiously (within an adventure)? Sure. Opening up a storefront thread and making thousands of gold identifying infinite items out of adventure? That shouldn't fly.
OOC: Wouldn't the 1 per day preclude much money making? And don't you need the component anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads