• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Despite complaints, 4e will sell like crazy when relased.

shadow

First Post
Okay, another 4e thread. I know this is getting old. However, this is not another "sky is falling" or "4e to be released next month" thread. I am not predicting when 4e is going to be released (although, I wouldn't put it beyond WotC to be planning 4e.) What this thread is about is the fact that when 4e is released it will be a great seller. Although there will be many complaints, in the end everyone will buy 4e and switch over. Ultimately, 3.5 will die and be completely forgotten.

I know that people complain about new editions. The whole 4e controversy is used as either a scare tactic or as complaint against WotC. People are swearing left and right that they will abandon D&D when 4e is released, or that they will boycott WotC. However, WotC knows that this isn't true; rather the majority of people, save some die-hard grognards, will make the switch. WotC bases their marketing decisions on research rather than the complaints on message boards. It seems that the marketing research indicates that gamers are crazy about the latest products.

It has been my observation that gamers in general will always go out and buy the latest major release and edition. It seems like gamers have a lot of disposible income to spend on gaming books. Also, I noticed many gamers wanting to be "up to date" with the latest edition and rules. Therefore many gamers aren't worried about having to buy a new edition every few years.

Look at the controversy surrounding 3.5e. Before 3.5 was released, there were many complaints on a lot of message boards. People complained that WotC was an evil money grubbing corporation. (For a short time 3.5e was known as 3.$ to many detractors.) People threatened to leave D&D once the revised rules came out. However, ultimately, most gamers made the switch, and 3.5e sold even better than the 3.0 rule books.

Specifically I have observed the following:

1. My FLGS no longer gives money or trade for 3e books. As one of the store keepers said, "No one plays 3e anymore, everything is 3.5e."

2. Another FLGS said that they didn't initially plan to stock that many 3.5e books. However, after a number of complaints from partons wanting to be "up to date" with the "latest rules", they ended up ordering a huge shipment of books, and 3.5e became their biggest seller.

3. One of the workers at my FLGS swears by 3.5e, saying that he couldn't believe how "broken" and "unbalanced" 3.0e was (despite the fact that he was a big 3.0 fan originally). He is under the impression that the latest rules are always the best.

4. Most gamers that I know have made the switch to 3.5e. Almost all of the said gamers went out and brought the books as soon as they came out. Sure, I don't know every gaming group in the nation, but I was surprised at the sheer number of gamers who immediately switched editions (sometimes in mid-campaign).

So, based on my observations regarding 3.5e, I have no doubt that 4e will be widely recieved and be a great seller when it's released.

Last edited by a moderator:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
EVERYONE won't be buying it. I won't unless it' much more like AD&D (which I seriously doiubt.) I don't need an upgrade to 3e. I never even bough the 3.5 stuff. I've heard that, while 3.5 sold well, it was nowhere near like the 3.0 release sales. Every edition further fragments the D&D community.

Crothian

First Post
Of course it will its D&D. At time while EN World is a great place, it is not always a good example of the gaming community. Most of us are gaming snobs.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I was quite upset when 3E was announced. I complained endlessly.

But, I bought the books and switched after I read them. Go figure! ;)

IronWolf

blank
It'll sell. Some will buy it just because its the new edition with every intention of converting their campaigns to it or starting new ones just for it. Others like me will probably pick up a PHB pretty quickly just to see what all the fuss is about. Whether I go on to play or stick with 3.5 depends on what I think of the PHB I guess. Like you said, WotC will have market research done and will try to play their cards the best way it can to make sure sales are high. Whether that's next year, the year after or longer remains to be seen.

Psion

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Of course it will its D&D. At time while EN World is a great place, it is not always a good example of the gaming community. Most of us are gaming snobs.

I'm just a guy who likes to game.

Who had significant difficulty porting his game over to 3e, but saw the reason.

I am twice as invested in 3e. To do a significant upgrade, they would have to have an even better reason.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I propose a sticky topic called Pointless 4th Edition Discussions. :p Let folks rant and rave away from anybody's listening. It will stop being endlessly repeated, and those who want their say can speak up and be ignored by everyone else.

(In short, I am getting tired of this.)

The Auld Grump, unusually grumpy today...

Turjan

Explorer
TheAuldGrump said:
I propose a sticky topic called Pointless 4th Edition Discussions. :p Let folks rant and rave away from anybody's listening. It will stop being endlessly repeated, and those who want their say can speak up and be ignored by everyone else.

(In short, I am getting tired of this.)

The Auld Grump, unusually grumpy today...
I'm for its own forum. 'General RPG Discussion' will look a bit empty then, but it might be worth it :).

der_kluge

Adventurer
I already don't buy any WoTC 3.5 stuff. I pretty much exclusively buy 3rd party products, and then mostly just pdfs.

If they released 4th edition, it would have to be _exactly_ the RPG I want before I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads