• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deities & Demigods: American Indian Mythos (or, Who the Heck is Qagwaaz?)

I've been trying to put together the origins for the deities and heroes listed in the American Indian Mythos in Deities & Demigods (1st Ed). Here's what I have. If anyone more knowledgeable in First Nations/Native American mythology can add/correct anything, it'd be appreciated.

Raven: Haida and others
Coyote: Navajo, Zuni, Maidu, Crow and others
Hastseltsi: Navajo
Hastsezini: Navajo
Heng: Huron
Hiawatha: Iroquois
Hotoru: Pawnee
Qagwaaz: ?
Shakak: Acoma?
Snake-Man: Acoma?
Stoneribs: Creek?
Thunderbird: many
Tobadzistsini: Navajo
Yanauluha: Zuni

The Handbook of American Indians (F.W. Hodge, 1965) is listed among the references, so access to that book would likely help. It's interesting that google has never even heard of Qagwaaz (except with respect to D&D), who is listed as a hero of the plains. Maybe a variant spelling of something else? I've tried some variations but haven't had any luck.

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
I have some reference works at home that might contain (some of) the answers......but it might be a day or two before I have a chance to check.

RC

Huw

First Post
Sure, but it more people were interested presumably it'd be more likely someone knows, right?

I am interested. I looked through my mythology references, and can't shed any light on your unknowns.

I did find some names similar to the unknown names, but with my minimal knowledge of Amerindian linguistics, I can't really separate out the morphemes. Here's what I did find if it is of interest:

"Qagwaai: a monster in the form of a whale in the lore of the Indians of the north-west" - so nothing like the D&DG description of Qagwaaz.

"Stoneribs: a hero of the tribes of the north-west" Further description indicates that he fought Qagwaai by jumping in its mouth with a spear

So, can't really help, I'm afraid.

The Native American Mythos is certainly one of the less well known and slightly confusing given the number of different tribes with different names for essentially the same archetypes.

Shakak = Pueblo

I'll have a hunt for the others and get back to you if I find anything. ;)

Votan

Explorer
It's interesting that google has never even heard of Qagwaaz (except with respect to D&D), who is listed as a hero of the plains. Maybe a variant spelling of something else? I've tried some variations but haven't had any luck.

Is it possible that the authors made him up to fill a perceived gap in the pantheon?

Is it possible that the authors made him up to fill a perceived gap in the pantheon?
Qagwaaz is not listed as a deity, but a hero. Considering the wide range of pantheons available for North America, I'd be very surprised if they resorted to making something up. None of the other real-world pantheons feature author creations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads