• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern: Brownout [Full]

UnDfind

First Post
Originally posted by Kalanyr
Any major differences from Earth as we know it history ? To explain the magic and psionics and stuff ? (Just want to check this before I do my background)

History is history as we know it, pretty much. Magic and psionics are incredibly rare and most in posession of these powers are wise to keep them secret.

Last edited:

UnDfind

First Post
The Brownout Begins

All right, here we go.

The RP thread is up. You can find it here

Currently posted characters look good so far, so go ahead and start posting actions in the RP thread. Right now it's mainly a meet and greet thing, but info gathering and research can begin immediately.

So far the line-up is:
Ascending Crane
Festy_Dog
Kalanyr
Starman

Oh, I also posted a purdy li'l map there for your viewing pleasure.

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
I should've said something earlier, because this plot and set-up is really intriguing. I'd like to play but I don't own d20 modern and I don't want to read through the SRD part of it if I don't have to.

Is there a way I could be in using regular D&D rules? If not, I'll knuckle down and figure out the system via the SRD but it'll take a few days.

I'd be most interested in a monkish character concept. I can work one out based on the D&D monk and post it if you'd like as a comparison. For wealth I wasn't envisioning a wealthy character anyway, just a tattoo artist wandering around Texas looking to sell flash. He's a monk because he studied shorinji kempo in Japan while studying classical irezumi artwork.

Greg

UnDfind

First Post
Originally posted by Zhure
Is there a way I could be in using regular D&D rules? If not, I'll knuckle down and figure out the system via the SRD but it'll take a few days.

I'm sorry to say...but the Modern system has some significant changes to it that make it incompatible w/ 3rd ed.

I would love to have you in the group though, and would have no problems answering any questions you might have while reading up on the rules. The only problem I see is that the SRDs for Modern doesn't have the Magic/Psionic Advanced classes (at least I don't remember seeing them). But you shouldn't have a problem with a non-funkified character.

With that said, you still in?

ErichDragon

First Post
I am in the same boat as Zhure. I would be very interested in playing but don't have d20 Modern. If I look over the SRD and put together a character can you iron out any wrinkles in the stats.

And if so, what types of characters/backgrounds do you want. Private Investigators, Military, Journalists or do we have free reign?

UnDfind

First Post
Originally posted by ErichDragon
I am in the same boat as Zhure. I would be very interested in playing but don't have d20 Modern. If I look over the SRD and put together a character can you iron out any wrinkles in the stats.

I would be more than happy to help you both make characters.

Orginally posted by ErichDragon
And if so, what types of characters/backgrounds do you want. Private Investigators, Military, Journalists or do we have free reign?

Make any modern character you want.

Kalanyr

Explorer
UnDfind, I've been thinking, would you mind adjusting the d20 Modern Mage slightly to reflect a word in which its necessary to keep an aptitude for magic secret?

Specifically

Switiching Scribe Scroll for Silent Spell, Brew Potion for Still Spell and Scribe Tatoo for Eschew Materials and instead of Maximize Spell, the ability to apply one of Silent spell or Still spell at +0 levels. Most of this won't really have any effect on this campaign I expect since most of its high level. If you do accept this I need to adjust my character a little if you don't mind.

UnDfind

First Post
Actually, that's a pretty even trade. I'll allow it, go ahead and make your changes (be sure to edit your post in the game if it will affect any of the skill checks you made).

Zhure

First Post
I'm still interested, but won't have time to put anything together until tomorrow.

My one real question is about the occupations... they are *only* applied at first level and are all extra stuff, while the rest of the character creation process is the same. x4 base skills at first level for the basic classes? Is that right?

And do humans still get the bonus feat and the bonus skill points?

Other than that, I think I get it. (I read the wealth section, somebody will have to help me with that, too, probably, but we'll see.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads