D&D monsters from comic books

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Alzrius said:
That said, I do recall AD&D trading cards, since I had a lot of them. I recall them having lots of abbreviated stats for monsters, magic items, and NPCs, a lot of which were statted nowhere else. I can't remember where I got them from, nor can I seem to find them now (which is annoying, since I know I still have them somewhere), but I definately recall them.

I don't think that there were many monsters from the 1991/1992/1993 AD&D trading cards that only appeared on the cards. Almost all of them also appeared in the Monstrous Compendiums. The only one I can think of off-hand that didn't is the Pegataur (#722 of 1991). Oh, and creature on the cover of the 1st Edition Manual of the Planes changed from being an Ethereal Dreadnought (which the MoP refers to it as) to an Astral Dreadnought with the publication of card #261 of the 1991 set.

TurlinBlackwind

First Post
I'm very new to D&D comparatively so I wouldn't know much about the candy... A friend of mine does fave a bunch of olde stuff including the never ending dungeon books. Those are cool, and he also has some 1st ed books that his mother owned. There's so much fun you can have playing olde D&D! :D

Thinking of the comic monsters.... have you thought of tracking down olde Dragon Magazine Beasties that never made it to the new Monster Manuals? I have one that feature Dark Sun monsters from like.... 1996? Not sure but it's older than my D&D career. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alzrius said:
Shade, do you have a pic of what the cards looked like? I'm still not certain they aren't the AD&D trading cards I remember.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate a pic of the cards (which you would cut out from the back of the box). I wish I'd kept 'em from back in the day. :\

TurlinBlackwind said:
I'm very new to D&D comparatively so I wouldn't know much about the candy... A friend of mine does fave a bunch of olde stuff including the never ending dungeon books. Those are cool, and he also has some 1st ed books that his mother owned. There's so much fun you can have playing olde D&D! :D

Welcome to the message boards! :)

TurlinBlackwind said:
Thinking of the comic monsters.... have you thought of tracking down olde Dragon Magazine Beasties that never made it to the new Monster Manuals? I have one that feature Dark Sun monsters from like.... 1996? Not sure but it's older than my D&D career. :)

We have. ;)

Dragon Magazine Monster Index
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9651

Converting Monsters from Dragon Magazine
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=66479

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
we have in fact converted quite a few monsters from Dragon mag that never made it into other books - most of them are much older than 1996! ;)

TurlinBlackwind

First Post
BOZ said:
we have in fact converted quite a few monsters from Dragon mag that never made it into other books - most of them are much older than 1996! ;)

I wouldn't doubt it. Hey, any of those in easy to get to links, or are they already in your Catalog BOZ? :)

If so, I'd like to look. Theres so much cool stuff to look at here. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
Phaoz said:
DC's Forgotten Realms Comic #24 had stats for the Rattelyer, a wingless Dragon.

Interesting. Is that a relatively recent comic? The rattelyer shows up in Shining South, so I'm wondering which came first.

Remove ads