• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

Zardnaar

Legend
I was going to mention something about me, alcohol, and posting being a bad idea at times.
I'm pretty much sober 100% of the time le sigh.

If I'm not I'm camping and it's 50/50 on internet.

20240115_143127.jpg

Not a cellphone tower.

GrimCo

Adventurer
We’re talking about different things. I’m talking about rules light, ultra-light, and one-page games. You’re talking about anything that isn’t D&D. There’s overlap, sure. But they are not the same thing.

Also, read this thread. People are talking about how bad rules light games are.
Well, to be honest, decent amount of them are bad games. One page rpgs lack in game department. They are more or less make pretend colaborative story telling mixed with improv acting and very minimal conflict resulution mechanics. For that kind of game play, all you need is couple of friends and coin or dice as resolution mechanic so you don't get into " I hit you- no you didn't" argument.

It doesn't mean those games can't be fun and people can't enjoy them.
I don’t see anyone trashing D&D. I do see people saying they wish people would get out of the D&D bubble and try more games. I also see people mentioning how playing a game designed to do a specific thing should be played when D&D doesn’t handle that thing well. None of that is an “attack” on D&D.

If someone is happy in their d&d bubble, why would they go out and try different games? It's like telling people who love football to play some waterpolo or handball. They are all sports with ball and goals after all.

If you're tired of views being the biggest influencer on influencers, then I got a hot tip for you!
Viewers like you can support creators covering non D&D TTRPG via Patreon or other crowd funding sites.

Take Quinn's Quest for example. Covering all sorts of non D&D TTRPGs; and YOU can help him do it!

TiQuinn

What do you think? Should D&D influencers acknowledge other games that solve problems they are talking about on their channels? If not, why not?
I guess I don’t see this as much because of the influencers I do see, they are talking often about games like Shadowdark or DCC or SotDL. Maybe this is more a thing you’ve seen with GinniD in particular?

They really don’t, though. And that misconception is partially the point. People who’ve only seen D&D (or large, chunky systems) have a wrong notion about how difficult and time consuming learning and playing RPGs can be. If you think RPGs are only like D&D, then you’re not only wrong, you’re blind to the wider hobby. Which is fine, except for the spread of misinformation when repeating untrue things like “TTRPGs require a large investment of time and energy, more than watching a series on streaming or reading a novel.”

One-page RPGs exist. There’s hundreds or thousands of them. Rules light RPGs exist. Again, hundreds or thousands. Styles of games and gaming exist where there’s zero or very minimal prep ahead of time.
Except Umbran is right. TTRPGS do require a large investment of time and energy, more than watching a series on streaming or reading a novel.

I’m a fan of games like PbtA or Fate, and if you think you can play one of those games by passively consuming it like binging on a series for three hours, you’ve never played one.

Arguably, those systems require a greater investment than D&D, since you can’t default to « my character swipes at the nearest monster with a sword » and each player is expected to be an active participant in the creation of the fiction.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Except Umbran is right. TTRPGS do require a large investment of time and energy, more than watching a series on streaming or reading a novel.

I’m a fan of games like PbtA or Fate, and if you think you can play one of those games by passively consuming it like binging on a series for three hours, you’ve never played one.

Arguably, those systems require a greater investment than D&D, since you can’t default to « my character swipes at the nearest monster with a sword » and each player is expected to be an active participant in the creation of the fiction.
Except @overgeeked was replying to me but I have never played Fate, seen one stream but what you say fits with my intuition. Roleplay intense and world building intense is a lot more effort than a D&D style adventure path (not saying that one cannot put similar effort into a D&D game, but I am talking about casual play here). In a D&D style game one can play one's character sheet and follow the breadcrumbs of the AP. Which I think is lower effort than the more freeform games.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Except @overgeeked was replying to me but I have never played Fate, seen one stream but what you say fits with my intuition. Roleplay intense and world building intense is a lot more effort than a D&D style adventure path (not saying that one cannot put similar effort into a D&D game, but I am talking about casual play here). In a D&D style game one can play one's character sheet and follow the breadcrumbs of the AP. Which I think is lower effort than the more freeform games.
I have definitely played narrative games with folks for whom it is difficult. Lots of players want to know what happens, rather than make up what happens themselves. Creating Aspects on the fly in fate or deciding how something fails forward in FitD can be a stressor for those people.

Remove ads